Login keys

Achterstraat

Verified User
Hi,

Why does a Reseller manually have to enable the login keys function for himself after a Admin already enable it?

Why should he not? The admin enabling is for the packages. So the reseller can decide for himself if he wants them enabled or disabled in user packages.
Since the reseller also uses a package, its logical that in that package the function should be enabled.
There is a very good reason that this is not enabled by default in all packages are:
If an admin suddenly decides to give a certain acces (like login keys, or SSH access) and the reseller is not present, he can't decide if he even wants to give this for free to his customers or if he wants to put that only in certain packages himself.

As i said "for himself" Richard, not for packages or users.

If the Reseller wants to use Login Keys after the Admin has enable it.. ..he has also enable it for his own account! More logical would be that after the Admin enable the Login Keys function for the Reseller he sees them directly.

As i said "for himself" Richard, not for packages or users.
Yes I know what you said. But I thought it might be the same reason as for user packages.

By the way... How should a reseller enable this for his own account? I also have a reseller account but do not see them on user level of my own account.

Now I found this thread:
http://forum.directadmin.com/showthread.php?t=52492
and this one:
http://forum.directadmin.com/showthread.php?t=47667

Now in my case it's:
cat user.conf | grep login_keys
login_keys=OFF
and
cat reseller.conf| grep login_keys
login_keys=ON

But when I use the /CMD_LOGIN_KEYS command it also says login keys are disabled, like in the first link. And I can't click the "details".
I presume you have the same issue. Looks to me it's a bug. Or do you have an option to enable the login keys at user level of the reseller account?

The only way I see it is to manualy edit the user.conf file of the reseller.

It's indeed a strange situation I agree with you.

It is certainly a bug that is discussed with John, he came with the next solution;

Admin level » List Users » Modify Reseller » Check loginkeys option
Reseller level » List Users » Modify Your Own User Data » Check loginkeys option

Of course it should be activated by default if an admin allows a reseller to use the login keys option without additional handles, as it happens on reseller level when activating login keys for a normal user account!

Another way, should a reseller still can use login keys when a admin deactivate the login keys for a reseller account? :)

Another way, should a reseller still can use login keys when a admin deactivate the login keys for a reseller account? :)
No. Is that the case then? LoL. That should certainly not happen.

I just checked, that is not the case. If login keys are deactivated by the admin for the reseller, the reseller looses the login keys option.

I also had send in a ticket with DA and got the same answer as you did. Only no reason why it's not enabled by default. Maybe the system just works like that.

Hi guys,

I didn't read all posts, but to clarify, there are 2 different levels where things are set.
Reseller Level and User Level.
They're 2 different places that do 2 different things.

----

The ability to user the Login Keys or the functionality of any other feature are all User Level items.
These are stored in the user.conf file for any account.
If you want to create a Login Key, the User might have it enabled in their user.conf.

The purpose of a Reseller is to create an manage Users.
They, themselves, are also Users, so they can manage themselves.
A Reseller has the power to allow or disallow the ability to use the Login Keys feature, including in their own User Level account.

----

With that, if an Admin goes to CMD_MODIFY_RESELLER and enables "Login Keys" for this Reseller, the Admin is only enabling that Reseller to control it for their Users.
So Reseller bob is now allowed to let User fred have Login Keys.

Here's the logic:
If Admin enables Reseller bob the ability to give Login Keys to their Users, in no way should DA actually enable Login Keys for User fred. That's to be decided by Reseller bob.

Thus, User bob (the User portion of Reseller bob) is a subset of that logic, hence DA will not enable it.

----

The exception to the rule is only during the creation of that Reseller.
If the Reseller Package has Login Keys enabled, then the new Reseller account User Level *will* have Login Keys enabled.
However, changing the Reseller Package later on will *not* affect the User Level of that Reseller.. only the Reseller Level setting.

Hope that helps clarify how it works :)

John

Back