Interfaces naming on Debian 9/Ubuntu

webmaster-hub

Verified User
Hi all,

Since Debian9, the ethernet interfaces have more predictable and stable names, i.e. enp3s0f0 instead of eth0
https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/PredictableNetworkInterfaceNames/

The problem is that under directadmin, additional IPs are not restarted automatically, for example after Apache logrotate or after a network restart.

I have to manually launch "service startips restart" to have those additional IPs show up.

How should I fix this ?

Best regards,

Dan

Last edited:
Hello Dan,

Apache logrotate should not clean IPs on local interfaces. I'd rather search on why it happens on your server.

And startips script is not executed on a network restart, if you do it without server reboot. You can add all the additional IPs into native config files of Debian if you restart network very often for any reason:

https://www.google.com/search?q=debian+9+additional+ip+address

Hi zEitEr,

Apache logrotate should not clean IPs on local interfaces. I'd rather search on why it happens on your server.

And startips script is not executed on a network restart, if you do it without server reboot. You can add all the additional IPs into native config files of Debian if you restart network very often for any reason:

On some servers, the additional IPs disappear right at the time of the logrotate (00:10)
And those servers are fresh install of Debian 9 / Directadmin... nothing special.

As far as I know, the command "service startips restart" does not add more entries in the Debian config files.

Yes, the command does not update text configs with new entries. If you don't want to loose IPs on a network restart update configs manually and add all IPs into the text configs.

Hi,

The issue is the following :
I never had to face any IP disappearing with the previous interface naming scheme (eth0, eth1, eth2..)
This only happens on Debian 9 with the new naming convention, and not on all servers.
It happens on 3 or 4 servers, although I have close to 20 clean installed servers with debian 9...

Adding the IPs in the text config files has NEVER been necessary, so I don't see the reason why I should bypass Directadmin to prevent these IPs from disappearing !

Best regards,

Dan

Last edited:
Dan,

You are free not to follow my suggestion. I've never seen any IPs disappearing after a logrotate, so as I wrote earlier I would investigate the case if I had the issue on my end.

And when I want IPs to be persistent on a server and don't depend on startips script I do add them into text configs. That's my way. You are free to do what you want.

If you want directadmin support team to investigate the case on your server you will need to open a ticket with them and provide login details.

I've never seen any IPs disappearing after a logrotate, so as I wrote earlier I would investigate the case if I had the issue on my end.

I never said it was due to the logrotate, that was only a time reference (00:10)
It could be the logrotate, the computation of quotas, or anything happening at roughly that time of the day.

I said as well that this happened only on new servers, with fresh installs of Debian 9/Directadmin, that's why it looks more like a bug due to Debian 9 interfaces renaming. !

Just to let you know, I have been using Directadmin for more than 10 years now, and still have more than one hundred servers under Debian using it.

Kind regards,

Dan

PS: I'll open a support ticket

Back