Problem with email forwarding, but not sure why

jim.thornton

Verified User
I recently did not receive a message that I was expecting to forward through to me. That got me trying to figure out why and here is my situation...

My setup:

domain1.com - MX records being handled by my DA server
company.com - MX records are being handled through Google GSuite

[email protected] is set to forward to [email protected] through DA control panel.

However, when I send a message to test from [email protected] to [email protected] it is suppose to forward back into my [email protected] inbox, but for some reason all i receive is a "Mail Undelivered" message.

The code that is in the email as to why it was bounced was error code 550 authentication required.

Can someone please advise?

NOTE: I did not want to put the actual domains into this post because I don't want it showing up on google if people enter the domain as a search. But, if you need it, I will be happy to PM you the actual domain names to take away the confusion.

Check with wich SMTP server you did send the message at first.
And from wich yes or no allowed IP / INternethoster and so on,

Check all things as dkim dmarc spf records also for all.
Check PTR records. ( reverse)

All mail/smtp checks with the online test there are.

Search here forum or the web for them.

Also headers when you forward and back and so on there must be a kind of protection , new or old header that isn't holding / rewrite the new sender ( forwarder) i expect.
And chance for looping forwarding mails must also ....

Last edited:
Sorry, I don't follow your post. Are you able to break it down for me?

The message that I SENT was from within the GSuite platform. All my sent messages work without a problem from this platform.

The issue seems to be with the forwarder. I don't understand why I'm getting an authentication error for a forwarder which is happening on my actual server via DA.

This has something to do with relaying which is not allowed without authentication. Since you did not post logs we can't see if it's from Google (which means smtp relay for Gsuit should be enabled) or that it's the DA server causing it. But since you say it's the DA server creating the error, that could well be the case too.

Which version of exim.conf are you running?

Back