Disabling Password Protected Directories problem

Frits36

Hi,

I have a couple of WordPress websites on a host that uses DA - and I am happy with it.

I have had Password Protected Directories enabled on /domains/mydomain.com/public_html/wp-admin for 2 of my sites, and since I forgot the password I decided to disable the protection.

On website1 I just unchecked the 'Protection enabled' box and hit 'Save' and all was fine.

On website2 I went into DA panel, clicked 'Password Protected Directories', selected /domains/mydomain.com/public_html/wp-admin and found that I could also just delete the user I forgot the password for and create a new one.

So I did this: userA was deleted and userB was created by keeping the info in 'Protected Directory Prompt:' as it was and filling out the user and password fields.

Then I went to mydomain.com/wp-admin and found that it gives a blank page.

I have tried different browsers, different PC's, removed cookies, checked permissions for the wp-admin folder, disabled all plugins on the website (via FTP), but nothing seems to work: I cannot enter the backend (wp-admin) of website2.

I then disabled the password protection for the directory alltogether, but still blank. Then I re-enabled it again, no luck. Disabled it again and removing all users: no luck.

So basically I am out of ideas and I hope anyone here has any suggestions for me on how to proceed.

Thanks for any suggestion and/or help!

-Frits

Hello Frits,

It's most likely .htaccess file under
wp-admin/ was not cleaned correctly. So you might need to open it in FTP/FTPs or Directadmin file-manager and correct its syntax.

Check domain's error logs for more tips.

Hello Frits,

It's most likely .htaccess file under
wp-admin/ was not cleaned correctly. So you might need to open it in FTP/FTPs or Directadmin file-manager and correct its syntax.

Check domain's error logs for more tips.

Thank you for your quick and helpful reply!
Indeed the .htaccess files on both website1 and website2 had not been cleared, but only on website2 it gave problems, somehow.

Thanks again!

Back