Offer Mysql 5.6 on CentOS7

ViAdCk

Verified User
Hello,

When installing directadmin on CentOS7, MariaDB is installed by default. Our customers and our techs are used to using MySQL and it would be great to be able to select Mysql 5.6 during the installation process. Right now we have to uninstall MariaDB, install Mysql 5.5 manually and afterwards upgrade to Mysql 5.6 which is a time consuming and quite annoying task.

Regards

Custombuild GUI addon/plugin for DA from smtalk here in forum then less work.

But it isn't something from directadmin, while in CENTOS package now default MARIADB.

For working with almost the same, and compatible to the "older" versions of MYSQL, so why are your cumstomers used to which version MYSQL you better asked first.

While new version MYSQL is maybe less compatible with older mysql version then some MARIADB... ;)

Also CENTOS is not the only OS where DA is running on.

Last edited:
You don't need to install mysql manually to 5.5 and upgrade to 5.6 afterwards. Custombuild still supports mysql 5.6 as far as I know.
Just install with mariaDB first, afterwards do this:
Code:
cd /usr/local/directadmin/custombuild
./build set mysql_inst mysql
./build set mysql 5.6
rm -f /usr/bin/mysql
./build mysql
and you're having your new system with mysql 5.6 present.
Alle automatically, hardly takes any time or work.

Custombuild GUI addon/plugin for DA from smtalk here in forum then less work.

But it isn't something from directadmin, while in CENTOS package now default MARIADB.

For working with almost the same, and compatible to the "older" versions of MYSQL, so why are your cumstomers used to which version MYSQL you better asked first.

While new version MYSQL is maybe less compatible with older mysql version then some MARIADB... ;)

Also CENTOS is not the only OS where DA is running on.

I'm sorry but I don't understand your message. I'm just asking for a simple option in the installation script between mariadb/mysql, just as we can choose other options like apache/nginx/litespeed or the main php version.

You don't need to install mysql manually to 5.5 and upgrade to 5.6 afterwards. Custombuild still supports mysql 5.6 as far as I know.
Code:
./build set mysql 5.6
rm -f /usr/bin/mysql
./build mysql

I'll try this when I need to install a new server, but this didn't work in the past as there were warnings indicating that mariadb is installed and can't be overwritten.

I know the custombuild plugin, but this is after directadmin is installed. My request is regarding the official directadmin setup/installation script, offering the option to select between mariadb & mysql.

Code:
./build set mysql 5.6
rm -f /usr/bin/mysql
./build mysql

I can confirm that this doesn't work. It's necessary to remove mariadb first, install mysql 5.5 and upgrade to 5.6 afterwards. This was indicated directly from directadmin support: http://forum.directadmin.com/showthread.php?t=50797&p=261610#post261610

Hi Martynas,

Executing what you suggest doesn't work:

Code:
mv /usr/bin/mysql /usr/bin/mysql_backup
./build mysql

It downloads the files for mysql 5.6 correctly but afterwards gives the following error:

Code:
Found /usr/local/directadmin/custombuild/mysql/MySQL-client-5.6.42-1.el7.x86_64.rpm
Found /usr/local/directadmin/custombuild/mysql/MySQL-devel-5.6.42-1.el7.x86_64.rpm
Found /usr/local/directadmin/custombuild/mysql/MySQL-server-5.6.42-1.el7.x86_64.rpm
Found /usr/local/directadmin/custombuild/mysql/MySQL-shared-5.6.42-1.el7.x86_64.rpm
Stopping mysqld ...
Cannot find /usr/bin/mysql, installing MySQL
warning: MySQL-client-5.6.42-1.el7.x86_64.rpm: Header V3 DSA/SHA1 Signature, key ID 5072e1f5: NOKEY
Preparing...                          ################################# [100%]
Updating / installing...
   1:MySQL-shared-5.6.42-1.el7        ################################# [ 25%]

A MySQL server package (MariaDB-server-5.5.62-1.el7.centos.x86_64) is installed.

The current MySQL server package is provided by a different
vendor (Monty Program AB) than MySQL AB, Sun Microsystems, Inc., or Oracle and/or its affiliates.
Some files may be installed to different locations, including log
files and the service startup script in /etc/init.d/.

Upgrading directly from MySQL 5.5 to MySQL 5.6 may not
be safe in all cases.  A manual dump and restore using mysqldump is
recommended.  It is important to review the MySQL manual's Upgrading
section for version-specific incompatibilities.

A manual upgrade is required.

- Ensure that you have a complete, working backup of your data and my.cnf
  files
- Shut down the MySQL server cleanly
- Remove the existing MySQL packages.  Usually this command will
  list the packages you should remove:
  rpm -qa | grep -i '^mysql-'

You may choose to use 'rpm --nodeps -ev <package-name>' to remove
  the package which contains the mysqlclient shared library.  The
  library will be reinstalled by the MySQL-shared-compat package.
- Install the new MySQL packages supplied by Oracle and/or its affiliates
- Ensure that the MySQL server is started
- Run the 'mysql_upgrade' program

This is a brief description of the upgrade process.  Important details
can be found in the MySQL manual, in the Upgrading section.
error: %pre(MySQL-server-5.6.42-1.el7.x86_64) scriptlet failed, exit status 1
error: MySQL-server-5.6.42-1.el7.x86_64: install failed
   2:MySQL-devel-5.6.42-1.el7         ################################# [ 50%]
   3:MySQL-client-5.6.42-1.el7        ################################# [ 75%]
Ensuring local-infile is disabled for security reasons in MySQL configuration file...
Giving mysqld a few seconds to start up...
Phase 1/4: Fixing views
/usr/bin/mysqlcheck: unknown variable 'process-views=YES'
FATAL ERROR: Upgrade failed
cp: '/usr/lib/libmysqlclient.so' and '/usr/lib/mysql/libmysqlclient.so' are the same file
Restarting MySQL.

In any event, even if it would work, this would have to be done manually after installing directadmin. And afterwards php has to be recompiled again. This could be prevented if during the installation process we're able to select if we want to install mariadb or mysql and which version.

You may just try removing MariaDB RPM (with simple "rpm -e", listing all MariaDB-* packages in the same line) after "mv". PHP does not need to be recompiled, as MySQLnd makes a direct connection to MySQL socket.

Code:
error: %pre(MySQL-server-5.6.42-1.el7.x86_64) scriptlet failed, exit status 1
error: MySQL-server-5.6.42-1.el7.x86_64: install failed

to bypass it run:

Code:
rpm -qa | egrep -i "^(MariaDB-|MySQL-)" | xargs rpm -e --noscripts

then try ./build mysql again

It's technically possible to do it now with CB 2.0 rev. 1984. Thank you for the request!

Custombuild GUI addon/module for DA from the talk here in a gathering then less work.

Be that as it may, it isn't something from DirectAdmin, while in CENTOS bundle presently default MariaDB.

For working with nearly the equivalent, and good to the "more established" adaptations of MYSQL, so for what reason are your customers used to which variant MYSQL you better ask first.

While new form MYSQL is perhaps less perfect with more seasoned MySQL form than some MariaDB.

I spend significant time in separate classes, however, I can show bunches too"

You should have a go at something along the lines of:

"I have practical experience in individual classes, however, I can likewise educate gatherings."

Its the little things that are the vendor.

Back