MariaDB 10.0.37 won't start after update (databases seems to be moved to /home/mysql/

ShamrockInfoSec

Verified User
hi,
After upgrading using the latest custombuild script, mariadb (version 10.0.37) will not start.
It's complaining that several tables from the mysql database are gone. Looking in /uusr/local/mysql/data/ the entire set of databases look to be deleted (moved to /home/mysql/ later interrogation found).
Placing back the mysql/ database will not help here.

On a previous update I already had issues related to the location of mysql.sock which seemed to be moved from /var/lib/mysql to /usr/local/mysql/data/ (temp fixed this with a symlink, not pretty but it worked).
Used ./build all to rebuild all, no results.

All other software is up-to-date including DirectAdmin.
Running LInux Ubuntu 16.04.05

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I’d suggest creating a support ticket. A quick “remedy” might be: chmod 755 /home

I’d suggest creating a support ticket. A quick “remedy” might be: chmod 755 /home

/home/mysql is already 755, so is /home (already checked file permissions).

As for filing a support ticket, thanks I'll have a look on where to do so on directadmin.com, as it's not the most usable site, may take some time.

The issue has been found.
The DirectAdmin script to update MariaDB to version 10.0.37 is borked.
Apparently, for some stupid reason going against every convention on linux systems, DirectAdmin seems to have decided to move all data from /usr/local/mysql/data to /home/mysql/
However the update fails spectacularly as everything is moved, but since the original directory remains the symlinking fails to complete, leaving the system in a broken state.

Earlier issues regarding mysql.sock on /var/lib/mysql/ can probably be contributed to the same or a similar issue.

After running linux for 2 decades, this is the most stupendous change I have ever seen on these systems.
Rivaling only the DirectAdmin change to screw up e-mail accounts by suddenly not allowing mail to arrive on addresses that had a linux account (system account) attached to it.
Whilst I can understand the security reasoning behind it, the change caused a lot of headaches and lost mail traffic as well.

Please stop doing these kind of stupid changes. Information is kept in /usr or /var for installed software NOT /home.
I don't see why this change was necessary nor any valid point why it's a good choice.
And if you really have to be obnoxious to do it anyway, test your scripts to breaking point so I don't have to.

Hello,

I don't like the situation with /home/mysql/ either, and it makes various issues for us too, even with new installations on Debian. More to say I've previously moved /var/lib/mysql/ to /home/mysql/ on some CentOS servers whenever we had too little disk space under the root partition "/", and /var/ was a part of it. And it might cause to us new issues.

And still Directadmin would not be the first to be blamed... at least by me.

I believe you can find some insights here: https://www.directadmin.com/features.php?id=2182

I don't see why this change was necessary nor any valid point why it's a good choice.

Back