Best way to add second host name to exim and dovecot?

twv

Verified User
I am moving some users from one server ('new.server.com') to another ('old.server.com'). Currently, these users use 'old.server.com' in their POP3, IMAP and SMTP client configurations. I would like new.server.com to accept secure IMAP and SMTP connections for old.server.com so that the users don't have to change their mail client settings.

If I set mail_sni=1 in directadmin.conf, add 'old.server.com' as a subdomain in my admin user account, and add a Let's Encrypt certificate for old.server.com via User Level -> SSL Certficates, will that work so that the users don't to have to change their settings? I'm hoping to avoid phone calls about certificate errors. I also want to be sure that exim/dovecot don't limit the users that can use old.server.com since it will be under my admin user.

Or is there a better way to go about this? I do have an extra IP address that I could use.

Hello,

Yes, you can add old.server.com as a separate domain, and issue a cert for it. And everyone who connects to it will get a valid cert with mail_sni=1

Or add the old.server.com into san_config of the main hostname under /usr/local/directadmin/conf/ and re-issue the cert for the hostname.

Thank you. In looking into san_config I found this: https://help.directadmin.com/item.php?id=645 If I'm reading it correctly, I can just do
Code:
cd /usr/local/directadmin/scripts
./letsencrypt.sh request new.server.com,old.server.com 4096
and I'll be good to go. Does that sound right?

Yes, that should work. Just make sure your old name points to a correct IPv4 and IPv6.

Back