Serious catch-all with SpamAssassin problem

websafe

Verified User
Hello. I've noticed a very strange behavior when catch-all is used together with SpamAssasin.

Example.

User: example
Domain: example.com
Catch-all configuration: "Address: [email protected]"
SpamAssasin setup:
+ Where do you want the spam to go: "Send the spam to the user's spam folder."

What happens?

1) Spam message for [email protected] arrives.
2) Message ends in /home/example/Maildir/.INBOX.spam/new/... (so in a place where nobody sane ever checks)

Expected behavior:
2) Message ends in /home/example/imap/example.com/info/Maildir/.INBOX.spam/new/... (an actual mailbox)

Is it just me?

Hello,

The catch-all allows to specify a destination email-address. The specified e-mail address will catch all improperly addressed mail (i.e. to a user that doesn't exist) to your site. This address may be your [email protected], or any other POP3 account you have created.

More to say, the destination address can be hosted outside your server. The feature is highly recommended to be disabled as users use it to catch all incoming emails and to forward them to @gmail.com, @yahoo.com, etc. This leads soon to a black-listing of a server's IP. As the final email servers sees your server is sending SPAM, which is actually only forwarded.

OK, since you can specify any email address as a destination, directadmin can not move spam to anything outside of local spam folder. That's the reason.

Back