opcache & opcache.fast_shutdown

LawsHosting

Verified User
I had to disable this, as it interfered with Wordpress's Elementor for some reason......

AH01067: Failed to read FastCGI header, referer: <url>
[proxy_fcgi:error] [pid 3474:tid 139656201479936] (104)Connection reset by peer: [client xxxxxxxx] AH01075: Error dispatching request to : , referer: <url>

How would I handle this, I mean, omitting opcache.fast_shutdown=1 in the 10-directadmin.ini files. They get rewritten whenever you build php, right?

I have opcache.fast_shutdown=1 in opcache.ini and have not seen any report of problems with WordPress.

You can override opcache.ini by adding opache.ini to /usr/local/directadmin/custombuild/custom/opcache/opcache.ini and then do a ./build opcache (if it does not work, then you must also do ./build php n , but I think it is enogh to do ./build opcache)

./build opcache is indeed enough. It's only changing the config files.

What version of PHP are you using? 7.3? Because there are some serious opcache bugs in 7.3.0. For example Laravel is also affected. 7.2.14 and 7.3.1 with these bug fixes originally should have been released this week but I think it's been pushed a week from now.

Also FYI: fast_shutdown has been removed as of PHP 7.2.0.

Last edited:
5.6... Yes, I know EOL, but some WP themes/plugin are not 7.2 friendly (clients moaning), so I offer 5.6 and 7.2 until I actually bite the bullet and go for 7.2 and 7.3....

As you might sense, I don't like Wordpress.....

Didn't do the custom thing yet.

When I build PHP 7.x, the 10-directadmin.ini seems to update for 5.6 (/usr/local/php56/lib/php.conf.d/) too..... Why?

[...cut]
Also FYI: fast_shutdown has been removed as of PHP 7.2.0.

Whoops! I did not notice your comment about this before now. This caught me by surprise, because PHP did not mention it anywhere at http://php.net/manual/en/migration72.php and it has also not been mentioned in any changelogs. They just did it silently and silently added a comment at http://php.net/manual/en/opcache.configuration.php#ini.opcache.fast-shutdown

This directive has been removed in PHP 7.2.0. A variant of the fast shutdown sequence has been integrated into PHP and will be automatically used if possible.

However it is not clear to me if the "variant of the fast shutdown sequence" is available to add to opcache.ini, or if it only happen automatically and is not available to add a setting for in opcache.ini?

I have not had any problems with it yet, but I am on PHP 7.2.x, so I will remove opcache.fast_shutdown completely then.

However it is not clear to me if the "variant of the fast shutdown sequence" is available to add to opcache.ini, or if it only happen automatically and is not available to add a setting for in opcache.ini?

I have not had any problems with it yet, but I am on PHP 7.2.x, so I will remove opcache.fast_shutdown completely then.

From my understanding and what I've read is that if you enable OPCache, fast shutdown is automatically enabled and used by PHP Core if possible. And what they mean by if possible.... who knows, that's not described anywhere. So I think it's not an option anymore in opcache.ini. It's still listed in the configuration table, but with that comment that it has been removed as of v7.2.

This client changed to 7.2, and instantly received 'memory exhaustion' fatal errors - not sure if it's this setting but goes to show how scripts can be behind the times.....and there's people saying "use opcache, you'll see improvements to the server"..... Yeah, right.....

As it looks like ./build opcache updates both php version .ini's (if you have 2 versions), does that mean I can use opcache.fast_shutdown=0 seeing it's enabled by default for 7.2.

how about
Code:
./build opcache php_ver
as a future feature option?

Last edited:
Hey there guys, so far though I can't find a single step-by-step guide in how to do this.

Back