X-ACL-Warn: Adding Message-ID header because it is missing!

Richard G

Verified User
Today I got back an e-mail for a hobby forum of mine, because the mailbox of the receiver was full.

Just by accident I looked at one of the attached files (nameless attachment 007.txt in this case) which are attached to returned messages in Outlook (mail client).

Code:
Return-path: <[email protected]>
Received: from server16.hostingserver.nl ([144.xx.xx.xx] helo=mail.hobbydomain.org)
	by server16.hostigserver.nl with esmtpa (Exim 4.91)
	(envelope-from <[email protected]>)
	id 1glNZT-0000bp-AE
	for [email protected]; Mon, 21 Jan 2019 01:36:11 +0100
Subject: Fijne verjaardag namens Hobby Forum.
To: <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2019 00:09:14 -0000
X-Mailer: SMF
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="SMF-754c554d8397dee31cfee48fba4f880c"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Message-ID: <[email protected]>
X-ACL-Warn: Adding Message-ID header because it is missing!

The other attachment is always called "details.txt" and has this content:
Code:
Reporting-MTA: dns; server16.hostingserver.nl

Action: delayed
Final-Recipient: rfc822;[email protected]
Remote-MTA: dns; mx.domain.nl
Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 450 <[email protected]>: Recipient address rejected: User over quota, try later

So my question is:
Is my server not adding message id's? Or is this only happening on this returning message?

I'm a bit confused because from the same domain I had 2 not SPF and DKIM aligned messages to Google.com and 1 to Outlook.com but it could be users forwarded that automatically from another mail address, I've got a ver strict SPF record.

Hello Richard,

I believe it's the forums software which generates emails, and in this case the forums engine should add a message id.

Hello Alex.

That could well be the case, never noticed this before. But I just did a test, my forum is sending via smtp, not via php mail by the way. But when I directly send an e-mail, I see a lot of header information, but indeed again this notice about the missing header id.

I will ask over at the forum creators then.

Thank you.

I spent a little more time to dig it, and here is what I found:

The line "Adding Message-ID header because it is missing!" exists in /etc/exim.conf. So Exim on a Directadmin server does what it says.

From Exim docs:

If a locally-generated or submission-mode incoming message does not contain a Message-ID: or Resent-Message-ID:header line, and the suppress_local_fixups control is not set, Exim adds a suitable header line to the message. If there are any Resent-: headers in the message, it creates Resent-Message-ID:. The id is constructed from Exim’s internal message id, preceded by the letter E to ensure it starts with a letter, and followed by @ and the primary host name. Additional information can be included in this header line by setting the message_id_header_text and/or message_id_header_domain options.

I don't see anything to worry about in this case.

That's great Alex, thank you.

It's cool that Exim adds a suitable header line if none is present.
That's indeed exactly what the notice said: "Adding Message-ID header because it is missing!".
So I was already wondering if Exim was not adding some.

I also aksed some questions over at the forum software builders. Indeed they had lines in the software so no message id was made, with this part:
Code:
$emaildata['body'], null, null,
The second null was the message id, if changed then a message id appeard. So I changed 3 of those codes and added 1 overall code if no message id exists, it would create a default one called "email". :)

Still it's great to see Exim already has solutions build in for these cases.

Thank you!

Back