Exim - How and where is it setup

jim.thornton

Verified User
It has been quite a few years since I installed my server and I cannot remember how I installed Exim. I'm not sure if it was done by itself what I installed DirectAdmin, or if it was done via CustomeBuild.

I did an rpm search and there was no packages installed with exim.

I've installed the CutomeBuild 2.0 addon for DA and I was going to look at upgrading/updating exim. the version I have installed is 4.76. I know that I've put in SpamBlocker or something like that into after install, but when I'm in the custombuild addon > Mail Settings, it says:

exim: NO
eximconf: NO
eximconf_release: 2.1
blockcracking: NO
easy_spam_fighter: NO
spamd: NO
sa_update: NO
dovecot: yes
dovecot_conf: yes
pigeonhole: no

Can I break anything if I go and set exim to YES along with eximconf, dovecot_conf??

Also, should I setup the other settings?

My issue with EXIM is that I'm getting a lot of spam messages that are sent from the server and I'm trying to lock it down so that it doesn't happen.

Exim is installed by default with DA, so you probably never updated Exim / SpamAssassin (+rules) in all those years. Updating very soon is definitely recommended because you are exposed to a couple of security issues in Exim & SpamAssasin.

See this article for more info about the configs and Easy Spam Fighter / BlockCracking and how to install it;

https://help.directadmin.com/item.php?id=577

My advice to update everything (but please do backups first:rolleyes:);

Everything to YES, except pigeonhole (if you don't use it). Eximconf to v4.5.x. Also update SpamAssassin.

Back