Choice of MySQL or MariaDB during install instead of the MariaDB hijacking

IT_Architect

Verified User
You ask for every other tiny little thing like which FTP client you want, or even if you want DA to maintain many main processes, but not which database. That's odd behavior. What are your reasons?

There are TONS of reasons for people to prefer MySQL over MariaDB.

What do you mean by hijacking? You can simply set mysql_inst=mysql and run "./build mysql" to switch from MariaDB 5.5 to MySQL. If there are any problems with it - just let us know, and we will check it :)

What do you mean by hijacking? You can simply set mysql_inst=mysql and run "./build mysql" to switch from MariaDB 5.5 to MySQL. If there are any problems with it - just let us know, and we will check it :)
>What do you mean by hijacking?
You can simply set mysql_inst=mysql<
Not until you already end up with MariaDB after the install.

Then you can tear it out. Of course you waste time and don't have a clean install. If you leave it you don't get the MariaDB 10 listed either, you get 5.5. Of course if it put in 10 that wouldn't be MySQL compatible. Perhaps if people stop in the middle of the questions, and go in SSH and edit options.conf, unless the options are in memory and the file gets rewritten, or maybe create the entire directory structure ahead of time and pre-position an options.conf file, as long as you have the current options version, of course it's a lot easier just to ask in the script.

There has to be a strategy or agenda at play here because it is not logical not to have it be an install option. We've gone from the #1 market share database with 47.32% that was the default, and asking which version you want, to one with .064% market share (2019), and not even asking. I'm aware some distros have switched to MariaDB but a lot more factors drive those decisions than usability. There are pros to MySQL over MariaDB also, such as real JSON, real DESC indexes which can take queries on large tables from 1/2 minute to 1/10th of a second, up to date security for remote connections, better user role setup, and faster UTF8 databases.

Last edited:
@IT_Architect, Regarding market share, just wait until CentOS 6 get EOL, then when all those servers is replaced with CentOS 7 or 8, MariaDB is default on them. Then we will see a big boom in MariaDB market share. On our shared hosting servers, we only offer MariaDB (currently 10.2.x), and not one single customer has ever asked for MySQL.

May you let us know the error you receive? Thank you!
This isn't about an error. It is about having the option during install to install the world's most popular database that happens to be Open Source. The endless loop issues that occur every time during "./build all -d" that was introduced somewhere between 11/2018 and now on the FreeBSD 11 install is a different issue, and that also happens with Dovecot.

Thanks!

Last edited:
I think I misunderstood you then. You wrote:
>You can simply set mysql_inst=mysql
Not until you already end up with MariaDB after the install.

I understood it as problems switching to MySQL after installation. So, there are no problems, and it's just a request to let customers choose something?

I think he is asking for something similar I asked before. It would be great to choose between mysql or mariadb when we install directadmin, not afterwards.

I think I misunderstood you then. You wrote:
I understood it as problems switching to MySQL after installation. So, there are no problems, and it's just a request to let customers choose something?
Yes

Thanks!

At that point you can remove it. Obviously you sit idle and don't have a clean introduce. In the event that you abandon it you don't get the MariaDB 10 recorded possibly, you get 5.5. Obviously on the off chance that it put in 10 that wouldn't be MySQL perfect. Maybe if individuals stop amidst the inquiries, and go in SSH and alter options.conf, except if the alternatives are in memory and the record gets reworked, or perhaps make the whole registry structure early and pre-position an options.conf document, as long as you have the present choices adaptation, obviously it's much less demanding just to ask in the content.

There must be a system or motivation affecting everything here on the grounds that it isn't sensible not to have it be an introduce choice. We've gone from the #1 piece of the overall industry database with 47.32% that was the default, and asking which adaptation you need, to one with .064% piece of the pie (2019), and not in any case inquiring. I'm mindful some distros have changed to MariaDB however significantly a larger number of components drive those choices than ease of use. There are masters to MySQL over MariaDB likewise, for example, genuine JSON, genuine DESC files which can take questions on extensive tables from 1/2 moment to 1/tenth of a second, state-of-the-art security for remote associations, better client job setup, and quicker UTF8 databases.

Maybe if individuals stop amidst the inquiries, and go in SSH and alter options.conf
Been there, done that, doesn't work. Even if you edit the options file as soon as it is created, choices have been made by the script that do not reference the options file and others that do. The result is it confuses the install, errors out, and leaves you in a mess.

Last edited:
Back