I think it's time to improve the Backups system

Yoshua

Verified User
Hi all.

I think it's time to improve the Backups system for the rest of the levels in the control panel, for the moment the most complete, which is the ADMIN, is quite acceptable, missing some interesting options such as incremental backups, direct backups in remote, etc..., but in the RESELLER and USER levels, they seem incomplete.

While ADMIN has 4 steps: 1.Who, 2.When, 3.Where and 4.What, Resellers only have: 1.Who, 2.When and 3.Where and Users only have one option: "What". I do not understand why the same backup system and same options is not used in the three levels.

When one of our Resellers needs to make the backups of one of their clients, for example only from the web files, something very common nowadays since many have thousands of stored emails, we have to do it from the Admin panel and if any problem in that backup, the Reseller does not know it.

User level is much worse, constant problems with user accounts because they make a backup and to exceed the space allowed, account blocked or can not even backup because they do not have enough local space, without options to send it out.

For now, it would be appreciated if we can simply do the backups in the three levels with the same options, logically in the User level we do not need step 1, "Who".
Admin and Resellers: 1.Who, 2.When, 3.Where and 4.What.
Users: 1.When, 2.Where and 3.What.

Greetings and thank you.

Reactions: Kal
Agree with that.
Incremental backup, backup to cloud (dropbox, google drive) and backup/restore on user level thats what we need.

YUp.

Also needed if possible a script/s after a snapshot / image restore/rebuild whatever and ip adresses changes. ( other hoster or location)

For license , user, reseller admin ips and dns settings changes serverwide.

???

+1 for this feature, one of the main reason why we have slowed our rollout of DA. Its not that the existing doesnot work, it just that we have to keep up with times.

There should be webdav backup at admin level. yandex disk, google drive automatic backup.

Backup changes URGENTLY needed

Agree with other posters, some kind of incremental backup required with storage facility for Google Drive or Amazon. Just switched from Cpanel to DA and the backup options are woeful. We live in an age of data which requires regular backups ;)

Hello,

Backup system should remove old backups and can do same things for remote backups.

Restore backup should also be improved.

+100 ... give us the option to backup normally with incremental backup. The current backup solution is pointless if you think about it.. how many resources it uses (HDD space + Bandwidth usage), it's half finished application. Also to delete old backups is a must have. I have enough of fiddling around with rsync and cron. Please make this nr. 1 priority. Without backup there is no such thing as business.

Last edited:
I'm going to be in the minority here, but I'm not really sure if it's DirectAdmin's place to provide interfaces and facilities for sending back up to every backup storage service available.

Personally... for me, if DirectAdmin could provide a facility for backing up JUST the DirectAdmin-specific aspects of an account, that would be beneficial. And for the most part, with some hacking, using a different directadmin.conf file passed to dataskq with certain options allows for this.

To use cPanel as an example, for years I've backed up cPanel by passing the --skiphomedir parameter to /scripts/pkgacct - this allows me to create a cPanel-centric backup .tar file that contains all of the cPanel specific stuff. And then I can handle backing up (or rsyncing) the account's home directory separately. This same type of use is what I'm after with DirectAdmin (and as I said, for the most part this can be accomplished with specific options in directadmin.conf).

I suppose one improvement that MIGHT help, can you run the backup without tarring everything up? Just copy the files that would be included in the backup into a specific directory for that user. This way I can add my own files that need to be included in the user's backup and tar it up myself. Currently the only work-around I know of with this would be to run the backup, get the tar file, extract the tar file, add my custom files, and re-tar the backup again. I don't really know exactly how beneficial this would be to me, but it would seem to get the current backup system back down to it's base system.

I might also look to remove the reliance on dataskq for backups, although again this can be accomplished by forcing a dataskq run after adding the backup lines into the task.queue file. Although separating this from the main task.queue might be beneficial, but you can always use the CustomBuild task.queue (or copy the dataskq binary, do some hex editing, and make your own task.queue to handle this).

To me there is a line that is drawn between what tools DirectAdmin provides to - essentially - list the files that are necessary for an account's backup and the server administrator actually acting upon that information to build their own backup system. Again, I know that's going to put me in the minority, but just adding some thoughts here.

Well, I agree with sparek here. cPanel never succeeded to implement a proper backup function, despite they tried, and I assume there is a reason for it. The --skiphomedir approach (and similar for DA) in combination with rsync/borgbackup... is a scalable off-server solution. WHat some might consider be missing is a gui, but there are 3'rd party plugins for that (Jetbackup for example).

But, I do believe DA should support incremental backup for local storage, like cpanel does. `tar´for backup is imho legacy, since the 90's.

You can use "--skiphomedir" in DA too, at "admin level" just unselect "Domains Directory"

its a must, that the cpanel never done it doesnt mean no one else never did,
Plesk got it out of the box
Ispmanager got it out of the box
so both got inc backup out of the box, why wont directadmin too?

Back