Should I edit DNS entries in DA or on domain reseller?

zakazak

Verified User
Hello everyone,

I use DA do host some of my projects (and I'm also the DA admin) and I noticed that I could set the MX records and A record in DA but also through my domain reseller.
Which one is the preferred way and why?

I also noticed that DA has a different DKIM entry than I have on my domain reseller.
I believe I once set up DKIM by hand and added the entry to my domain reseller.
Now DA has probably configured DKIM by itself and added it to its own domain dns settings?

Which one is the preferred way and why?
That depends on what you want to achieve. The admin always also as a reseller level and a user level.
Normally your A en MX records are created for you automatically when you create a domain, that's the preferred way. :)

As for DKIM, I wouldn't now why you would want to set it up manually when it's automatically done by Directadmin. And yes the selector for example can ook different, but that makes no difference in correct working.
DA generates DKIM for every domain when it's created, same as the SPF record. At least, if enabled. You can set dkim=1 in your directadmin.conf.

Hello,

I believe the user @zakazak under domain reseller means a domain registrar where domains are registered and DNS zone is hosted. If this is the case, then DNS records should be updated on the domain registrar site.

Hello,

I believe the user @zakazak under domain reseller means a domain registrar where domains are registered and DNS zone is hosted. If this is the case, then DNS records should be updated on the domain registrar site.

Exactly sorry, I meant my domain registrar where I buy my domains.
There I could either simply point to my DA IP/nameserver/whatever or configure all MX records there, just the way I could also configure them in DA.
So the domain registrar is the preferred and better way?
Even if DA creates entries automatically?

That depends on what you want to achieve. The admin always also as a reseller level and a user level.
Normally your A en MX records are created for you automatically when you create a domain, that's the preferred way. :)

As for DKIM, I wouldn't now why you would want to set it up manually when it's automatically done by Directadmin. And yes the selector for example can ook different, but that makes no difference in correct working.
DA generates DKIM for every domain when it's created, same as the SPF record. At least, if enabled. You can set dkim=1 in your directadmin.conf.

Could it be that I created a DKIM when DA didn't to it automatically and now DA is doing it automatically and created a second DKIM?
Because on my domain registrar I have a DKIM configured, however the automatically created DKIM in the DA DNS Management is different.

DirectAdmin by default is not connected to 3rd party nameservers, and if your case is not an exception, there is no a better place. DNS should be edited only at authoritative nameservers. If you use domain registrar's nameservers, then you should edit a DNS zone at them. If you use your own nameservers which are pointed to your server's IPs, then you should update the records in DirectAdmin.

Hey again,

yep that is what I know already. But if I can choose between the two options that you mentioned: Is there a better or preferred method?

There is no a better place. The question is not correct at all.

One single DirectAdmin server can not provide enough high availability of DNS.

Your domain registrar can not provide any replication of DNS records from your Directadmin server.

So you should decide what you want, and what you are ready to decline.

My choice: DNS records managed through DirectAdmin replicated to 2-3 slave or hidden-master nameservers built of either named/bind or PowerDNS.

Hey there,
well I run all services on one server (with named for DNS). I guess I will tell me registrar to use my DA nameserver and then I will do all the DNS records in DA.
Because DA already configures a lot of DNS Records (MX / A / DKIM / ...) automatically :)

@zakazak

Please check all you need from DNS service and co.

Also performance and yes or no DDOS, GEODNS and so more.

Then mostly you needed to have minimum 2 nameservers with different ip c address!

Tbh I don't think that my current registrar (do.de) is offering an DDOS or special services?
So I have my server with DA which has one IP and 2x nameserver addresses (ns1.domain.com and ns2.domain.com).

Back