cPanel price increase and demand for conversion script

ditto

Verified User
cPanel has announced they are changing to Account Based Pricing, and in the hot discussion thread at Webhostingtalk: Massive cPanel price rises some users report they are going to get several hundred percent price increase in licensing cost.

Of course this is good news for DirectAdmin, wich might get a boost of new customers, and we welcome them all! However large companies would need a migration script to automate migrating customers from cPanel servers to DirectAdmin (I know there exist one floating around, but it's reported it has many bugs), and now they have started a own thread at webhostingtalk about it at WTD: cPanel to Directadmin conversion script

So maybe Martynas or other DirectAdmin staff would be able to contribute to do some development work on a script like that? Or maybe even some forum users could contribute? Anyway, this is exciting times for DirectAdmin, wich should be able to get some extra momentum because of this.

Edit: For conversion script, please see this updated guide: How-to: cPanel to DA migration - also see FAQ for DirectAdmin new customers

Last edited:
Hello

If you keep your price model you will have an great number of new users you never expected to have during next months period....

I'm one of "lucky" ones that will only have high double digits licensing prices update (but some guys will had 300 to 800% percent update :( ) so my plan is in next 10 months to move half of my servers to DA just to grantee some level of price stability and to reduce the profit of cPanel to what they currently get from me ...

DA strongest contestant for that exit as it is almost have everything .. Cloud Linux Support , LiteSpeed , option to limit number of outgoing emails per hour and Jetbackup confirmed they start to develop an backup plugin version for DA

How ever what will need to speed up the process is something better than backup file conversion plugin... Something as cPanel transfer tool which connects to cPanel server with root and transfer multiple accounts. I think that will boos DA business a lot (or plugin developer business if it reasonably priced )

Any update from Owner of DirectAdmin on pricing of DA?

I want to switch my all customer's license from cPanel to DA and also my own servers.

Any guarantee that DA will not change price for next 2 year?

You can't ask for a guarantee like that. But you can buy internal and external lifetime licenses, their price is the same for many years.
And even when rented license prices change, I don't expect DA staff to create such rediculous changes as cPanel now does, and not in such short time, like "we change this the 27th of this month".

I love DA, because cPanel is too expensive, in spite of the fact that they have some good futures and great ticket service. Plesk I dont like. They are better as before, but for reselling still devious and they lack build in support for CSF and especially a free virusscanner like Clamav for scanning mail at least, is already asked for several years and they only provide payed modules. DA has all that included in custombuild.
And DA is easy to use and uses less resources.

We (our company, not making some advertisement out of this) are happy to contribute to help with migrations or (temporary) infrastructure if people need some help.

Back