How-to: restore cPanel backup in DirectAdmin

smtalk

Administrator
Staff member
Click here for the Technical Migration Guide
----

If you have a cpmove-user.tar.gz file, it can now be restored directly in DA interface. Please note this functionality is new, so, please test it carefully until we get more feedback :) Please make sure it's you who created cpmove-user.tar.gz backup for security purposes, because at this moment we fully trust the content inside, thus available on admin level only. This might change later.

Change is described here: https://www.directadmin.com/features.php?id=2398

Just update your DirectAdmin to 1.57.3 and it should work out-of-the-box. You should be able to restore cpmove-user.tar.gz files directly in DirectAdmin "Admin Backup/Transfer" feature.

Last edited:
So happens I'm actually currently in the preliminary process of moving a cPanel-site (5GB backupfile) to DA and I would like to do a test-move, before I shutdown the cPanel website and proceed to do the actual move.
Is there a way to get/install the pre-release binaries for those using a DA-account provided by their VPS-hoster?

Does it copy over:
Account name with password?
Mailbox, with mail and original password?
DNS records, e.g. gsuite / office 365 records?

Great

Great will check this and let you know. Better if you can add this to resellers as well. Meantime will test this.

Is this also a mass tool to convert multiple accounts? I'm currently in the process of looking for an alternate provider from cPanel.

Is this also a mass tool to convert multiple accounts? I'm currently in the process of looking for an alternate provider from cPanel.

If you move multiple cpmove files to the DA directory you can restore them all at once.

Hi there,
I imported about 10 cpanel backups today and i have some issues:
1. SSL problem. Not a big problem, if it's not working from directadmin, it's working from CLI. But sometimes i need to deal with point 2 for Letsencrypt SSL to work.
2. Permision problems with subdomains. With all imported subdomains:

[Thu Jul 11 17:09:16.293319 2019] [core:crit] [pid 8508:tid 140144698840832] (13)Permission denied: [client 79.118.888.888:0] AH00529: /home/rcnet/domains/mydomain.net/private_html/livechat/.htaccess pcfg_openfile: unable to check htaccess file, ensure it is readable and that '/home/rcnet/domains/mydomain.net/private_html/livechat/' is executable

I tried to restore permissions, removed .htaccess, recreate .htaccess, check content .htaccess... no positive result.

Right now i am erasing subdomain (with no directory content removal), after that i rename subdomain directory, and recreate domain. After that i am copying the old content, and it's working.

I was not able to find this permission issue.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Hi there,
I imported about 10 cpanel backups today and i have some issues:
1. SSL problem. Not a big problem, if it's not working from directadmin, it's working from CLI. But sometimes i need to deal with point 2 for Letsencrypt SSL to work.
2. Permision problems with subdomains. With all imported subdomains:

[Thu Jul 11 17:09:16.293319 2019] [core:crit] [pid 8508:tid 140144698840832] (13)Permission denied: [client 79.118.888.888:0] AH00529: /home/rcnet/domains/mydomain.net/private_html/livechat/.htaccess pcfg_openfile: unable to check htaccess file, ensure it is readable and that '/home/rcnet/domains/mydomain.net/private_html/livechat/' is executable

I tried to restore permissions, removed .htaccess, recreate .htaccess, check content .htaccess... no positive result.

Right now i am erasing subdomain (with no directory content removal), after that i rename subdomain directory, and recreate domain. After that i am copying the old content, and it's working.

I was not able to find this permission issue.

Thank you.

1. Are you sure you ran latest version of converter? 0.0.14 at this time :)
2. I'd suggest trying domaindir option: https://help.directadmin.com/item.php?id=173

1. I am using the latest.
2. At first i ran ./set_permissions.sh all and there was no success.

But after i ran ./set_permissions.sh domaindir domain.com the subdomains problems are solved.

Thank you.

Do this script work with username.tar files generated by cpanel backup?

I'm having problems with this:

Unable to extract backup/user.conf from /backup/USERNAME.tar.gz
Error while extracting backup/user.conf to /backup/USERNAME as admin : /bin/tar: backup/user.conf: Not found in archive
/bin/tar: Exiting with failure status due to previous errors

Cannot read /backup/USERNAME/backup/user.conf : Unable to open /backup/USERNAME/backup/user.conf for reading.
No such file or directory

Do this script work with username.tar files generated by cpanel backup?

I'm having problems with this:

Unable to extract backup/user.conf from /backup/USERNAME.tar.gz
Error while extracting backup/user.conf to /backup/USERNAME as admin : /bin/tar: backup/user.conf: Not found in archive
/bin/tar: Exiting with failure status due to previous errors

Cannot read /backup/USERNAME/backup/user.conf : Unable to open /backup/USERNAME/backup/user.conf for reading.
No such file or directory

Just rename to cpmove-username.tar.gz and it will work :) A command to rename many username.tar.gz files to have cpmove- appended is mentioned in http://forum.directadmin.com/showthread.php?t=58059, if needed.

How to fix cPanel username ??

Hi,

I tried to restore 2 accounts and following errors occured :
Max username length (10) is smaller than :confused:(15)

Error converting file: /home/admin/cpanel_backups/cpmove-atelierdabajour.tar.gz: Converting atelierdabajour (/home/admin/cpanel_backups/cpmove-atelierdabajour.tar.gz)...

cpmove-atelierdabajour is not a valid username

------------------------
Max username length (10) is smaller than cPanel username (14)

Error converting file: /home/admin/cpanel_backups/cpmove-alexissavvidis.tar.gz: Converting alexissavvidis (/home/admin/cpanel_backups/cpmove-alexissavvidis.tar.gz)...

cpmove-alexissavvidis is not a valid username
-------------------------------------

I tried to change user name , but failed too
Any idea ?

Unable to find cPanel user configuration in /home/admin/cpanel_backups/atabajour_cpanel_to_convert/cp/atabajour

Error converting file: /home/admin/cpanel_backups/cpmove-atabajour.tar.gz: Converting atabajour (/home/admin/cpanel_backups/cpmove-atabajour.tar.gz)...

cpmove-atabajour is not a valid username

Hi,

I tried to restore 2 accounts and following errors occured :
Max username length (10) is smaller than :confused:(15)

Error converting file: /home/admin/cpanel_backups/cpmove-atelierdabajour.tar.gz: Converting atelierdabajour (/home/admin/cpanel_backups/cpmove-atelierdabajour.tar.gz)...

cpmove-atelierdabajour is not a valid username

------------------------
Max username length (10) is smaller than cPanel username (14)

Error converting file: /home/admin/cpanel_backups/cpmove-alexissavvidis.tar.gz: Converting alexissavvidis (/home/admin/cpanel_backups/cpmove-alexissavvidis.tar.gz)...

cpmove-alexissavvidis is not a valid username
-------------------------------------

I tried to change user name , but failed too
Any idea ?

Unable to find cPanel user configuration in /home/admin/cpanel_backups/atabajour_cpanel_to_convert/cp/atabajour

Error converting file: /home/admin/cpanel_backups/cpmove-atabajour.tar.gz: Converting atabajour (/home/admin/cpanel_backups/cpmove-atabajour.tar.gz)...

cpmove-atabajour is not a valid username

Hi

I found this and helpme to change max lenght
https://www.directadmin.com/features.php?id=189

Now I have to solve bellow
WARNING! atelierd_wp922 cannot be owned by atelierdabajour, renaming database user to atelierdabajour_wp922
WARNING! atelierd_wp922 username cannot be set to atelierdabajour, renaming database user to atelierdabajour_wp922
WARNING! atelierd_wp922 username cannot be set to atelierdabajour, renaming database user to atelierdabajour_wp922

Domain atelierdabajour.gr CreatedDomain Created Successfully

Unable to add user atelierdabajour_wp922. String 'atelierdabajour_wp922' is too long for user name (should be no longer than 16)
Can't add user atelierdabajour_wp922 to atelierdabajour_wp922: Unable to add user atelierdabajour_wp922. String 'atelierdabajour_wp922' is too long for user name (should be no longer than 16)

Error with query "CREATE USER 'atelierdabajour'@localhost" : Operation CREATE USER failed for 'atelierdabajour'@'localhost'
Error with query:
ALTER DATABASE atelierdabajour_wp922 CHARACTER SET 'utf8' COLLATE 'latin1_swedish_ci'
COLLATION 'latin1_swedish_ci' is not valid for CHARACTER SET 'utf8'

Cwmce6

Modify the username on the cpanel server to only 8 characters. Then pkgacct again, transfer to DA server and try the restore again. It worked for me.

Back