Pricing changes/updates as of July 1, 2019 (No, we aren't raising our prices)

working on maybe 4 hours of sleep per night.

I think it's John et al. The openness and candor is great.. Go lay down and sleep. Take a nap. Edison said Naps were the key to inventiveness. We will all be here when you get back. I for one will be. Not saying we won't buy more licenses....:cool: .

My first Voldemort Panel server just went down and conversion is in process.

This isnt making easy for us but for the last time:

If we buy as existing customer NOW, then the lifetime license we buy will be lifetime and get all the program updates till 2038 ?

When confirmed we will buy one :)

Existing customer with a license already in your account, then yes! (A completely empty account, NO)

Guys, would you clear your mind (to forget all the confusion I caused), then read the announcement again? Just the stuff under "So here's what's happening:"

Does it seem way more simple & clear now?

P.S. This is Mark, it's me all along. Don't blame John for this :rolleyes:

my first Voldemort Panel server just went down and conversion is in process.

Would youb be so kind to open another topic and tell us about your experience migrating.

I really like to know about caveats. And if zonefile is copied exaclty (including current TXT fields and MX records).

I have many corporate customers with outlook 365 and VPN concentrators and other stuff depending on content of zonefile.

In regard to sleep, since Friday I haven't slept also. When this storm is cleared up, we can return to regular lives.

(No, we aren't raising our prices)
Well, in fact you are, but only for new lifetime licenses. Understandable though, it was bound to happen some time.

I got 2 questions because I see to many different answers about this and the second is confusing to me.
The $299 lifetime is still being offered with "lifetime" longevity (it will never expire), and one year of support & updates.
1.) a.) So for -new- lifetime licenses which can be bought until september, after a year you have to pay $99 a year for new updates. Is this effective immediately?
b.) But wat about -existing- lifetime licenses. Do they still have their lifetime free upgrade and support, or will they also have to pay $99 a year?

We are no longer pushing/moving licenses between accounts
2.) a.) So this means existing lifetime licenses can't be sold anymore?
b.) If they still can be sold I presume the new owner also has to pay the $99 a year from then on?

Well, in fact you are, but only for new lifetime licenses. Understandable though, it was bound to happen some time.

I got 2 questions because I see to many different answers about this and the second is confusing to me.

1.) a.) So for -new- lifetime licenses which can be bought until september, after a year you have to pay $99 a year for new updates. Is this effective immediately?
b.) But wat about -existing- lifetime licenses. Do they still have their lifetime free upgrade and support, or will they also have to pay $99 a year?

2.) a.) So this means existing lifetime licenses can't be sold anymore?
b.) If they still can be sold I presume the new owner also has to pay the $99 a year from then on?

It's extra confusing because we are making the conditions different for our existing customers. Existing customers can still order the traditional lifetime license, until Sept 1. New customers have to order the new one showing on our website now, the one with 1 year of updates/support. But when Sept 1 comes, everybody will have to.

We are NOT touching any existing license. If you bought a license that said lifetime updates for free, you are getting lifetime updates for free. :D

2. When I use the term "pushing/moving" it means we are no longer allowing the license to leave your account. It's never something we promised to begin with, actually. So there cannot be a new owner...

It's still confuses me.
But when Sept 1 comes, everybody will have to.
1.) So after Sept 1, also existing lifetime customers, which already own a license also have 1 year free support and then have to pay $ 99 a year?

2.) So we can't sell any license anymore? Is that effective immediately? Or also per september?

@Ditto: thank you but reading different answers I want to be sure and have answer from support.

Last edited:
@Richard G, I deleted my reply because DirectAdmin Sales responded. But regarding your question 1, I think Mark was clear in the last reply. Your existing lifetime licenses will keep lifetime updates also after Sept. 1, you do not need to pay 99 year.

@ditto: this is still confusing to me:
the one with 1 year of updates/support. But when Sept 1 comes, everybody will have to.
This can mean, "have to buy the new license with paid updates" but can also mean "have to pay for updates after a year". I think you're correct though. But I still like to be sure and then there's the answer to the second question about selling which I would like an answer to. ;)

Yes, that is correct. On Sept 1, for anybody (DA customer or not), if you want to order a new license: the only"lifetime" option will be the license that comes with 1 year of upgrades/support.

Hi,

I'm not native English speaker but I think it is written clearly

this last one mean:
the one with 1 year of updates/support. But when Sept 1 comes, everybody will have to.

From now to September 1st all of the old clients will have access to buy old type of life time license

which is : Non expiring, 90 days ticket support, lifetime updates

Old life time licenses will remain old lifetime licenses for the lifetime (no matter internal or external) :)

After September 1 old clients if they want to buy another lifetime license will have to order new lifetime (same which is available for new clients now)

Which is Non expiring, 365 days updates and 365 days ticket support and after one year that support and updates can be optionally extended with 365 days ticket support and 365 days updates for $99

P,S I can argue that new lifetime is actually better than the old one for commercial enterprise as you will have access to support

OOOHHHHH...LOL
I thought you all were totally getting rid of any kind of Lifetime license for everyone new or old after september 1st.. But you are not you are just adding support upgrade to it after the first year...

OOOHHHHH...LOL
I thought you all were totally getting rid of any kind of Lifetime license for everyone new or old after september 1st.. But you are not you are just adding support upgrade to it after the first year...

ha ha. No!!! We are not taking away anybody's license! That would make a regular guy from Tennessee an angry guy from Tennessee!

This only pertains to lifetime licenses. For brand new accounts, it's effective immediately. No internal lifetime licenses.

For current accounts, lifetime internal licenses vanish on Sep 1 but they can keep ordering normally until then (within throttling limitations)

Monthly licenses unaffected.

Doesn't sound like you missed anything. IP change limitation not set in stone, but just wanted to give advanced notice that some level of restriction is coming.

If the entire thread has to be summarized in one sentence: Unprofitable licenses being dropped, all other licenses remain the same.

Doh just missed out then :( I need to learn the ropes with DirectAdmin as my clients are on cPanel :)

1. The only lifetime left is our new $299 lifetime. It will never expire (you can always login and manage your server), but the software updates and support only last a year. You can add another year at any time, or just leave the license how it is. When you order, there is no renewal subscription you must be forced to enable.

2. Old lifetime license updates forever, with no more cost.

Old Lifetime: Expiry: Forever Updates: Forever
New Lifetime: Expiry: Forever Updates: 1 year, add more only if you want

3. We are not touching existing licenses. This whole announcement is our way of saying, new orders will be stopped. That's all.

oh that makes it clearer, i though lifetime license wasn't available to new customers.

thanks for the clarification :)

A new "Lite" license is being introducted on August 15 that can be installed on any type of server. It will be heavily discounted and intended for the personal user, hobbyist, etc. for those who need a few users/domains.

In the context of learning everything on frontend/backend of DirectAdmin installs in general, will a 'Lite' license be able to do that or would some features differ/be absent in 'Lite' that I wouldn't be able to learn and experience in non-Lite version ? Just trying to decide on which license I'd need to setup a test DirectAdmin instance to learn the ropes :)

cheers

George

Hello everyone!

As a result of the demand created by the cPanel pricing fiasco, we've been forced to drop our loss-leader "Lifetime Licenses" earlier than planned. These licenses were not sustainable to begin with, but with an community-minded & non-abusive customer base like ours, we've managed to offer them for almost 15 years. I don't think anyone else could have done that. :D

Most importantly, we are not taking away anyone's lifetime license, and we are not going to start charging for updates. A promise is a promise. This announcement only relates to the sale of new licenses.

So here's what's happening:

New Accounts

Sorry, our traditional lifetime licenses are no longer available. This applies to datacenter (internal) licenses as well.

The only exception is our $299 lifetime license. It is still being offered with a "never expire" promise, support/updates for 1 year, and you can (optionally) add another year at any time for $99.

A new "Lite" license is being introducted on August 15 that can be installed on any type of server. It will be heavily discounted and intended for the personal user, hobbyist, etc. for those who need a few users/domains.

Existing Accounts

We realize that your business model may depend on the regular ordering of these licenses, so we are phasing them out over 60 days, to ensure there is plenty of notice. It would be unfair & disrespectful to simply remove these licenses without warning or explanation.

You have until September 1 to keep ordering lifetime licenses. To prevent abuse (hoarding), new purchases will be throttled (controlled) automatically by our system. You will be able to purchase new licenses at the same general rate/quantities you normally order at.

To prevent unauthorized reselling and a lifetime license "black market" we are going to be a little less helpful about a couple things we've been overly accommodating about in the past. We are no longer pushing/moving licenses between accounts, especially after several of our customers have been scammed by people selling licenses from hacked accounts. License portability/reselling is never something we offered as a feature so we need to crack down on this a little better.

The second issue relates mostly to the internal/datacenter bulk lifetime licenses. We've been allowing near-excessive levels of free license recycling (IP changing so the license can be reused over and over as customers come and go). This in itself is not a bad practice. Recycling is good ;) But it is also used for unauthorized reselling. It is also used for piracy (back-and-forth IP changing to allow one license to operate many servers).

Unlimited updates is something we promised, but unlimited recycling is not. We plan to crack down on this by allowing a very small amount of free changes, and then a minimal fee (maybe a dollar or two) for each change after that. Not enough of a fee to be a money grab, but it will help a bit with sustainability (and mostly as an anti-abuse measure).

Finally, please share your comments and let's discuss. This announcement has been a long time coming and I really hope that our intent is viewed as productive and respectful to our customer base. We are forced to make these changes, but I certainly hope anything above doesn't make our valued costumers feel like they have been betrayed or mislead in any way.

Let's discuss! :cool:

Please PM. ;)

Back