Seperate mysql users and databases like Cpanel

Richard G

Verified User
Since we are requesting all cpanel things....

It would be a good idea to have the mysql interfce like Cpanel does.
Create a database, and afterwards decide which users and passwords can be added to this database.

Want to change a user, no problem, create another one, and add them and remove the old one. Like this feature a lot.

[cut] Want to change a user, no problem, create another one, and add them and remove the old one. Like this feature a lot.

You can do all that in DirectAdmin, at least in the Enhanced skin (I have not tested Evolution).

No you can't.

The only time you can choose an existing user or a new user is when you create a new database or upload one.
I don't see any options in DA to either (and/or):
a.) create a single mysql user without a database
b.) remove an existing user from a database
c.) add a second user to a database
d.) create a database without any user

c.) add a second user to a database

In "Enhanced" click "MySQL Management" then click on the database name to a existing database, then click "Create New Database User" - fill out the fields and click "Create", and you have now added a second user to a database.

b.) remove an existing user from a database

In "Enhanced" click "MySQL Management" then click on the database name to a existing database, then click the checkbox to the right for the database user you want to remove, den click "Delete". You have now removed a user from a database

d.) create a database without any user

Just create a database first, then you can click on the database name and then select the user and click "Delete selected". You have now a database without any user.

a.) create a single mysql user without a database

Ok, this one is not possible. But all the other is possible, as you can see above. But why do you need to create a mysql user that is not connected to any database? That is meaningless.

Last edited:
B and C, oke did not know this part.

A and D not possible.

What you describe for D is a workaround, so it can be done but with extra work.

But why do you need to create a mysql user that is not connected to any database? That is meaningless
Creating a database without a user would also be meaningless in that case. Still it's present in Cpanel, so I guess there are some good reasons for it.
I could imagine creating a user to test things or debug, which can be added to a database when needed. You have 1 user with the same database pass, and easily point it to a database.
It's also easier to switch users when you have seperate users and seperate databases.

Imho the complete mysql setup of Cpanel is nicer and easier than with DA, including the fact that you can login to phpmyadmin without the need of a password, which is already a feature request by several ex-cpanel users.
When redoing this part, it might be a good idea to ease it up fully. Users and bases easy adjustable all on one page. It's a better overview.
Next to that it also has check and repair database options. Everthing on 1 page which is really more clear/coherent (I don't know the correct English word).

Hence my request.

[..]
Next to that it also has check and repair database options. Everthing on 1 page which is really more clear/coherent (I don't know the correct English word).

DirectAdmin also has a "check and repair database options", at least in Enhanced. There a one button for "Check" and another button for "Repair", and also a button for "Optimize". I am happy with the current database feature. Also I don't want to have login to phpMyAdmin without need for password, I like it better the way it work with DirectAdmin, wich allow you do log in to phpMyAdmin without the need to login to DirectAdmin first.

Also I don't want to have login to phpMyAdmin without need for password
So why would you be against that. Weren't you also for autologin for mail? Via autologin for database it's also easy to solve issues. And maybe that happens more often. I also like the diret method of DA, but then you have to lookup the password first. If they create auto login for mail (because of better support arguments), they should also it with phpmyadmin.

Anyway, you don't have to like my feature request. That's why it's a feature requests, some are for it and some are not. ;)

I am not against autologin for phpMyAdmin if it still will be possible to login normally directly at server.hostname.com/phpmyadmin , but if only one option is possible, then I am against it because I like me clients to continue to be able to login directly without first visiting DirectAdmin. Also many of my clients have many databases and users in the same DirectAdmin account, and many of them login to phpMyAdmin by using the same username/password as their DirectAdmin account, this give the advantage to have access to all the databases in one/same login. So this need to continue to be possible, if I am going to support autologin. Or maybe a new option in directadmin.conf where we can specify if we want to disable autologin or not? That would also be good.

But then in another suggestion (new post), this is the suggestion for these mysql options and all on 1 page. :)

It's no surprise I'm not in favour of this auto-login request..... It has only come up when cPanel users came over.....

If this auto login does get added, then all clients must be forced to use 2FA/etc.......

I know you can set login limits to DA then ban IPs, but if someone brute-forces your DA account or even your email account (password resets), they'll have access to everything.....

One password versus many (for databases) passwords..... I'd know what I'd choose.

It's no surprise I'm not in favour of this auto-login request..... It has only come up when cPanel users came over.....

If this auto login does get added, then all clients must be forced to use 2FA/etc.......

I know you can set login limits to DA then ban IPs, but if someone brute-forces your DA account or even your email account (password resets), they'll have access to everything.....

One password versus many (for databases) passwords..... I'd know what I'd choose.

I don't get it... if someone gets access to the DA Account, they already get access to all the User Account Data... the Auto-Login will not change anything here. :|

Back