api token instead password access

Hello,

Use login keys, you can create as many login keys as required and set a number of limits per a key.

https://help.directadmin.com/item.php?id=523

I looked at this guide. I want to use it for Multi Server. I brings up few questions sorry..

I don't have a default domain set so I tried to

PHP:
If you don't yet have any domains created, then you can manually access the page via this URL:/CMD_LOGIN_KEYS

I just get told I need a default domain in evolution.

So here goes...

I don't have resellers just admin.

So what is a default domain for?
I found in Domain setup where I can set Default Domain.
I seems that it is the default for the user that has the domain not admin.

Admin doesn't have domains so I just keep getting that notice "you need a default domain."

I must have something set incorrectly?

I have checked help, google and searched forum.

A default domain, i.e. any domain under an account, which is accessible by /home/USER/public_html symlink over FTP/SSH. DirectAdmin requires any account to have at least 1 domain, and some features will be inaccessible without a domain under user level. You might add even a fake one.

A default domain, i.e. any domain under an account, which is accessible by /home/USER/public_html symlink over FTP/SSH. DirectAdmin requires any account to have at least 1 domain, and some features will be inaccessible without a domain under user level. You might add even a fake one.
So I just want to be sure I understand. New server with just admin user. That user Admin must have a domain?

NOT just Admin has other users under it as a reseller.

No, Admin user must not have a domain if they don't plan to use User level access of their admin account. Even more, I highly advise not to host domains under admin account at all.

I understand what brings a confusion here, DirectAdmin forces admins to add domain to their accounts in order to get a chance to use login keys under Evolution skin. The Enhanced skin does limit admins on that, and you can access /CMD_LOGIN_KEYS without issues.

If this is the case you might consider bring this to the developers attention and ask them for a fix.

Thanks as always.. unfortunately more question come for our discussion.

I highly advise not to host domains under admin account at all.

You don't mean other users under Admin. Example by default DA creates admin. Admin is both Administrator and Reseller. Are you saying it best to not use admin as reseller to other users OR just don't host any domains under the admin user?

No, Admin user must not have a domain if they don't plan to use User level access of their admin account. Even more, I highly advise not to host domains under admin account at all.

I understand what brings a confusion here, DirectAdmin forces admins to add domain to their accounts in order to get a chance to use login keys under Evolution skin. The Enhanced skin does limit admins on that, and you can access /CMD_LOGIN_KEYS without issues.

If this is the case you might consider bring this to the developers attention and ask them for a fix.

This needs to be fixed to more easy set.

You don't mean other users under Admin. Example by default DA creates admin. Admin is both Administrator and Reseller. Are you saying it best to not use admin as reseller to other users OR just don't host any domains under the admin user?

First of all it's only MHO. I don't say not to do so. My concern is about:

1. security, it is safer to host 1-3 sites per account. And if they hack 1 site or account, the other sites and accounts might survive if they are owned by a different user.
2. backups, it is easier to manage backups containing 1-3 sites, than 10+.
3. server load, it is easier to track server load on per user bases with 1 site than per account with 10+ sites.
4. limits on number of processes and connections.

It is not seldom when users with DirectAdmin servers add all their possible sites under a default admin account covering themselves with a simplicity of using FTP with one login/password to manage sites, ignoring security and possible issues with limits on number of connections/processes per an user.

This needs to be fixed to more easy set.

Yes, agree, it should be fixed in Evolution skin.

Back