DirectAdmin First Timer: How To Install DirectAdmin On CentOS 7 Guide

The technical support isn't the only thing. ;)

Also you can then use Beta's (acces)if needed for faster solving something.!

We needed support once SMTALK solved against a litle payment while no direct license.

I see so non-direct DirectAdmin licenses from web hosts don't get beta access ?

Wonderful! I really appreciate the work you have put into this.

Also great for starters. Keep up the good work. Cheers!

Cheers thanks :)

We shall see @ikkeben

Extended and added to my DirectAdmin installation guide https://servermanager.guide/162/how-to-install-directadmin-control-panel-on-centos-7/

cheers Alex is there a article outlining beta vs stable differences as well ?
very useful!!

@eva2000 can we get a copy of that wrapper to put it through the paces?
Currently private for now as it's still being developed - added exim, imagick, imagemagick to the wrapper as to call CustomBuild build options for them. I am testing on test DA VPS server so can afford to mess up as no production data on it. It's just a server for me to learn and experience DirectAdmin

With that said, I also did benchmarks with dovecot compile, so here's combined times https://servermanager.guide/162/how-to-install-directadmin-control-panel-on-centos-7/#step14

for DirectAdmin Apache + PHP 7.3/7.2/5.6 + Dovecot recompile builds via CustomBuild 2.0 called from my directadmin-compiler-bench.sh wrapper script resulted in total compile times as follows:

• total without ccache compiler cache = Compile time = 200.293 + 4509.820 + 879.963 = 5590.076seconds
  • total run 1 with ccache compiler cache 1st run which is uncached and populates the cache ready for 2nd run use = Compile time = 231.493 + 5141.003 + 976.800 = 6349.296 seconds which is ~13.6% slower than without ccache for 1st uncached compile run.
  • total run 2 with ccache compiler cache 2nd run which can use ccache’s cache to speed up subsequent recompiles of same versions = Compile time = 1439.342 + 159.888 + 363.582 = 1962.812 seconds which is ~64.9% faster than without ccache and ~69.1% faster than with ccache’s uncached 1st run.
Huge improvements in CustomBuild recompile times :)

The "stable" differs from "beta" in a number of included features.... which were added since the last "stable" release. It's not that "beta" is less stable or less secure. It's only about features newly added.

The "stable" differs from "beta" in a number of included features.... which were added since the last "stable" release. It's not that "beta" is less stable or less secure. It's only about features newly added.
cheers thanks for the clarification :)

Is beta = prerelease? Or is that something else like = alpha

I don't get the naming.

Is beta = prerelease? Or is that something else like = alpha

I don't get the naming.

That is understandable. :) Up until now, this is what I observed:

For DirectAdmin itself, there is usually only two type or releases:

1: The pre-release binaries that is made available is generated very often, so often that you could call it more like a snapshot of the current development version of DirectAdmin. So I would say pre-release binaries would compare best to the more common name Alpha release.

2: Then I have never seen DirectAdmin release a beta version of DirectAdmin itself, instead there is released one or more RC versions wich are announced in the forum.

However new features in new stable versions of DirectAdmin might have status Beta, but then those new features would never be default enabled until it is considered stable. One example is this feature of Rspamd added in version 1.56 wich at that point was Beta (I do not no the current status as I am not using Rspamd yet): https://directadmin.com/features.php?id=2286 (as you can see it says "BETA" at the top of the description.

Last edited:
Thanks @ditto, that's the best clarification.

A confusion might come from URL which is used for downloading a pre-release version of DirectAdmin, it's a &channel=beta here, see the link Installing a pre-release version of DirectAdmin and at the same time they write:

The pre-release version of DirectAdmin is the latest version of the code which has not yet been put into production. It could also be referred to as the beta of the next version of DA, except that it's usually updated every few days with new changes, fixes, features, etc.

Thanks @ditto, that's the best clarification.

A confusion might come from URL which is used for downloading a pre-release version of DirectAdmin, it's a &channel=beta here, see the link Installing a pre-release version of DirectAdmin and at the same time they write:

The pre-release version of DirectAdmin is the latest version of the code which has not yet been put into production. It could also be referred to as the beta of the next version of DA, except that it's usually updated every few days with new changes, fixes, features, etc.

UH Guys sorry i started here to name it BETA my fault. :eek:

That's OK, I name it BETA too. And it seems to be fine as developers say it could also be referred to as the beta of the next version of DA

Fantastic guide that you put together @eva2000 - what a massive amount of work! Thank you!

Thought I should mention a script to add and sync DA dns changes with Cloudflare. So nice to be able to manage all dns directly from DA without having to manually update.

I hope that's a helpful suggestion.

Just wanted to say thanks for the awesome guide. You've put in alot of time and effort - so thanks again!

Back