Versioning the /etc/ configurations using etckeeper and co on DA GUI and howto's help

ikkeben

Verified User
Change version log and tracker for config files also expanding possible own config files versioning.
A GUI and howto's help

Kind of simple 'etckeeper' script
FOR Directadmin, then a simple/changed version you can change handle out of the DA ADMIN GUI?

ONE you can SSH , FTP to own LOCATION , yup without the GIT versioning, but to keep track of changes made by UPDATES, edited yourself, or even some sofwtare or persons.

As kind of backup but also a audit partly, if possible then with what whan changed by whom / what / when.

IT is a brainstormpy part from me to have such ( simple ( simpler) version check / control / audit) in the DA GUI.

YUP asking for simple, (KIS, keep it simple) in DA GUI.
Not such: The preferred way to do that is to use a configuration management system, like 'cfengine', 'puppet', 'chef', 'ansible' or you named it.

With such simple, you should still be able to see what exactly was changed on you system and when. (should even possible putting config files of DA also and own CMS and so in it? )

Sorry for my Grammar:eek:

SO for example IF CSF is warning changed files, you can check fast, and or with errors you can to.

THE ROLL back / restore option is less important to start with , most important is what when changed in those files.

Hello,

Sorry, what is your request about? I use etckeeper, that's OK. What do you suggest?

Hello,

Sorry, what is your request about? I use etckeeper, that's OK. What do you suggest?

A kind of "etckeeper" script available in DA admin GUI, Simple but "changeable / adding files yourself to" for the ETC, DA config and own (cms) config files.

ALSO Not needing GIT but own filespace / location ( FTP / SSH) or even on the DA BOX itself. ( if reachable then :) after mistake.. )

So you can check very quickly for example if CSF is "mailing" about changes of such files, is one of the plusses to have it very simple nearby in the DA ADMIN GUI.

Last edited:
Then if in GUI for those files a kind of link explanation to the DA helper / howto's next to them is a good way i suppose to have more insight.

And less Support needed i expect then. :rolleyes:

For example if for DA conf files changed after update, the links for the da update / new / changes itself are also in this, a lot of questions here and support could be less also.

So if putting "da.conf" in such versioning, then the links to "new page" this way to https://www.directadmin.com/versions.php?version=1.573000 and even for support the forum here for release https://forum.directadmin.com/showthread.php?t=58145

So the script should know version nr's

To make the live for forum support GUYS more easy to.

Last edited:
Back