Please help me with this simple DNS question

psalm91

Verified User
I am just a freelancer with very few sites about 10 that I run in a cpanel VPS

OK to make long story short

Every time I change servers I have to go to each client domain and change the name server

I want to use my directadmin VPS also for this dns entry so it takes care of those 10 websites in other server.

Is putting the following enough?

===============================

; Zone file for clientdomain.com
$TTL 14400
clientdomain.com. 86400 IN SOA ns1.mydomain.com. mail.gmail.com. (
2013071600 ; serial, todays date+todays
86400 ; refresh, seconds
7200 ; retry, seconds
3600000 ; expire, seconds
86400 ) ; minimum, seconds

clientdomain.com. 86400 IN NS ns1.mydomain.com.
clientdomain.com. 86400 IN NS ns2.mydomain.com.

clientdomain.com. IN A 200.301.235.33

localhost.clientdomain.com. IN A 127.0.0.1

clientdomain.com. IN MX 0 clientdomain.com.

mail IN CNAME clientdomain.com.
www IN CNAME clientdomain.com.
ftp IN CNAME clientdomain.com.
_dmarc 14400 IN TXT "v=DMARC1; p=none"

You do not need to edit anything manually (or little less)

Just get 2 IPs as some rare CC domains refuses to use single but you could do it wit one

go to your domain provider register 2 names servers with your vps IP / ips (Create Name servers or something)

ns1.yourdomain.com
ns2.yourdomain.com

Set your domain to use ns1.yourdomain.com ns2.yourdomain.com

Create yourdomain.com on the vps

check if it work (if it work) you are good to go

just create clientdomain.com on the vps and tell your cliet to set
ns1.yourdomain.com
ns2.yourdomain.com

Thank for reply. I know all these and it works ok but one of my clients who uses google apps for his email had problem
google apps stopped working so do I need to put all google apps MX record in there too? All I care is just using ns1 and ns2 of my server while
all other information is read from the original server

Thank for reply. I know all these and it works ok but one of my clients who uses google apps for his email had problem
google apps stopped working so do I need to put all google apps MX record in there too? All I care is just using ns1 and ns2 of my server while
all other information is read from the original server

If your client is using your nameservers, then yes you will have to input all MX records from google apps. follow this:

mxEXTERNAL.PNG

If they are just using the dns do I need to give them some sort of access so they can update that information when ever they want?

If your client's domain is hosted under his own DirectAdmin account, and you want to allow them to edit their domains' DNS records, then you need to give their DirectAdmin credentials.

If your client's domain is hosted under his own DirectAdmin account, and you want to allow them to edit their domains' DNS records, then you need to give their DirectAdmin credentials.

Thanks no client has his site hosted in a cpanel another server .

Back