Default Domain Issues

GeoDirk

Verified User
So I have a brand new DA install with just an Admin user. During the install process, it asked me for my domain (domain.xyz) and I gave it to the installer. Now that I'm logged in, I want to setup SSL for that domain. But it isn't there....

If I go to /Admin /Show All Users, my admin user is there but under the Domains(s) column it is empty.

Likewise, if I go to /User/Domain Setup, a little reminder pops up in the corner and says: "No Domains - There is no default domain; you should start with creating one first". So I try to put in my domain.xyz into the Create Domain tool and I'm getting: "Already Exists".

Kinda in a Catch-22 here... Any pointers in how to get my default domain to actually show up under the Admin user and be recognized as being available?

Thanks

You need to create an user for that domain.

Tried that....but when I try to add in a user with that default domain name, I get DA responding back with "Cannot Create Account - That domain already exists"

Also tried adding in a bogus domain (test.com) and was able to successfully add that one it and make it default. However, I still can't add in the domain.xyz as it says it exists and there is no why to delete it from the control panel. The only domain that shows up now for the admin user is test.com.

:confused:

It exists in DNS then.

https://www.google.com/search?q="That%20domain%20already%20exists"%20site%3Adirectadmin.com

It exists in DNS then.

https://www.google.com/search?q="That%20domain%20already%20exists"%20site%3Adirectadmin.com

Thanks Alex...that did the trick along with changing the /Admin/Adminstrator Settings/Server Settings/Server's Hostname

Once I removed the DNS entry and changed the Server's Hostname, DA no longer complained about adding in the domain.

Thanks All!

See: https://help.directadmin.com/item.php?id=28

This message will appear if the domain is already on the system. The way that DirectAdmin checks to see if the domain is already on the system is by looking in the named.conf file. (RedHat: /etc/named.conf, FreeBSD: /etc/namedb/named.conf)

If you are positive that domain has not been added anywhere in DirectAdmin (use "Show All Accounts" in the Admin Panel), then it should be safe to remove the zone from the named.conf file either manually, or by removing the zone from Admin Panel -> DNS Admin. Then you should be able to add the domain.

Be sure to backup the zone if you do not wish to lose the dns data.

With the addition of the Multi Server option, dns can now be hosted on other DA servers. Ensure that any Servers you have listed in your "Admin Level -> Multi Server Setup" page also do not have the domain in their named.conf files. If you disable the "check domain" option, then that server will not be queried.

You'd also want to ensure the domain is not in:
  • Remote Multi-Server Setup IP, with "Domain Check" option
  • /etc/virtual/domains
  • /etc/virtual/domainowners
  • /etc/virtual/domain.com
  • any /var/named/*.nzf file if rndc is used for adding/removing zones

Back