./build list_updates

wattie

Verified User
I usually make ./build versions and then scroll a bit to look for eventual updates. It will be much easier if we have a "list_updates" or similar option which will skip listing the software that does not have new version available.

P.S. Sure I am currently doing it with "| grep available" addition in the command line but... why not :)

Make a script in root's bin directory

cat >/root/bin/checkcustombuildupdate.sh <<EOF
#!/bin/bash

/usr/local/directadmin/custombuild/build versions | grep "is available"
EOF

Set that script to execute:

chmod 700 /root/bin/checkcustombuildupdate.sh

Now you can just type:

checkcustombuildupdate.sh

to list available updates

In the GUl custombuild plugin there is list of all available updates

It will be much easier if we have a "list_updates" or similar option
Why? If you're using console like you say, you only need to commands:
./build update
./build update_versions

Why would you want to see what gets updated? Do you want to exclude things after seeing them? I don't quite understand what would be easier as you say, or what the benefit would be.

Why would you want to see what gets updated?

It is a good thing to do to read the changelog and inform yourself about what is changed and what to eventually expect after the update. And check the forums for your OS distro too.

It is a good thing to do to read the changelog and inform yourself about what is changed
Yes but that is not what you asked and not an answer to my question.

wattie said:
It will be much easier if we have a "list_updates" or similar option which will skip listing the software that does not have new version available.
You won't get to see a changelog when doing a ./build versions and neither when you have the same option which is only skipping apps which do not have new versions.

So that is not a real answer to my question about why you need a "list versions" only showing which versions have updates (without changelog) instead of just do a "build update_versions" which will update the versions.
Maybe I wasn't clear enough. My questio is related to your request. So why do you only want to see the version change with a list versions? What's the use instead of just updating of you're busy in console anyway doing a ./build update and ./build list_versions (if it would be present).

So that is not a real answer to my question about why you need a "list versions" only showing which versions have updates (without changelog) instead of just do a "build update_versions" which will update the versions.
Maybe I wasn't clear enough. My questio is related to your request. So why do you only want to see the version change with a list versions? What's the use instead of just updating of you're busy in console anyway doing a ./build update and ./build list_versions (if it would be present).

Come on - it's simple. I need to see which software is going to be updated so I can perform a search for the changelog (eg. Google it) before doing the actual update. I do not want to blindly update everything.

I agree with you - I've never been much of a fan of blind automatic upgrades.

And while an option to the custombuild script for something like this might not be that difficult to add... it's also my experience that if you depend on others to write stuff for you... you can be waiting a long time.

The custombuild script provides a system to list if components are up to date or require an update. From that, it's just a matter of using grep to glean out the information you want. I have an idea, it's going to be a lot quicker writing your own simple script to do that, than to wait for DirectAdmin (or any control panel... I'm not singling out just DirectAdmin) to add functionality to their system.

Now, if they didn't provide a system to list what components are up to date or require an update... that might be another thing.

Come on - it's simple. I need to see which software is going to be updated so I can perform a search for the changelog (eg. Google it) before doing the actual update.
Oh that way you mean. I didn't think of that because normally it's announced on DA that there are new versions. However this is done by users often, so I can understand you can't rely on that.

CustomBuild has a feature to mail you the list of updates available on the server, it's been there since 2005 or so :) If this is not enough, and you find "grep" to be too complex to use - just let me know, as it hasn't been a problem since now, but it's easy to add something which wouldn't require the knowledge/use of grep.

Thank you.

Sure I do use grep. It was just an idea for something built-in to the script. After all the script itself is just a collection of commands in specific flow. Theoretically you can do everything without it :)

Back