What does personal DNS mean in reseller package?

Richard G

Verified User
I'm wondering what this means. You see this when creating reseller packages as an admin at the bottom of package creation:
Code:
Personal DNS's		None
 			Uses 2 IP's, domain uses one of them
 			Uses 3 IP's, domain gets own IP

How must I read this? When none is selected, reseller can not create his own nameservers? Or...
And the second option, does this mean nameserver from the reseller uses 1 ip and some other (which one)?

Or can anybody give an explanation on how I have to read this, what it means?

I have the same doubt.

How do I configure reselling so that they have their own DNS using server ips?

example:
ns1.server.com> 123.456.789.101
ns2.server.com> 123.456.789.102

and dealers would have:
ns1.reseller.com> 123.456.789.101
ns1.reseller.com> 123.456.789.102

Seems resellers can always have their own DNS. I just left this setting at "none" and created the reseller.
Then reseller has to create A records for his own nameservers like this:
Code:
ns1.resellerdomain.com.	14400	A	123.456.789.101
ns1.resellerdomain.com.	14400	A	123.456.789.102

Then change NS records if present like this:
Code:
resellerdomain.com.	14400	NS	ns1.resellerdomain.com.
resellerdomain.com.	14400	NS	ns2.resellerdomain.com.
Go back to the reseller main menu (reseller level) at nameservers. Verify the 2 correct nameservers are mentioned and the click save.

After that, reseller has to go to the registrar of his resellerdomain.com and create glue records from there. Or create nameservers with these ip's and your done. You only have to wait until DNS propagates, takes 2-48 hours.

However, this does not answer the question I had.

Hello Richard,

The package setting refers to the automatic creation of the ns1/ns2 records during the creation of the Reseller.
It's meant to save you some time, if it works, but you can still accomplish the same thing via other means after the account is created.

When used, it will require a minimum of 2 IPs under the Reseller's control.
When you create the Reseller with reseller.com, if you select the 2 IP option, it will automatically create:
ns1.reseller.com on the first IP,
ns2.reseller.com on the 2nd IP.

These NS values will then show up as the "main" nameservers for those IPs (eg: When viewing the 'Nameserver' column on the Admin Level -> IP Manager page)

----

Note that the setting of a nameserver to an IP is mainly just for cosmetic reasons, as you really don't need to do it this way, especially when IPs are at a premium.

For most people, they can have the same effect, but without the need for full IP assignment to the Reseller (eg: you can assign 0 IPs in the package, just the server IP).
This will not create ns1/ns2.reseller.com during creation, but you can do it with a "virtual" checkbox in another step:
Reseller Level -> Nameservers -> select the "reseller.com" from the dropdown list.
*without* selecting any IPs, you can pick the "Virtual" checkbox.
This checkbox will assign the ns1/ns2.reseller.com A records to the resolved A records for the ns1/ns2 values store in "Admin Level -> Admin Settings".

Since the ns1/ns2 records need nothing more than to resolve to the box and really have no effect on hosting, this is a common option.

If needed, I could add a "Virtual" option in the package dropdown for this, using 0 IPs, yet automatically creating the ns1/ns2 values for the Reseller automatically if that's something people want.
Possibly some wording other than "Virtual" which is a bit more clear, to help avoid confusion.

John

Thank you for the explanation, it's now more clear to me. It's more to make life easier for users which use both ip's of the server for DNS, we don't do that.
Well we do, but use the second ip as 2nd nameserver for another server and same on that server and use Multisver setup. That way both nameserver ip's are at different locations how they should be.

For reseller it's indeed easy that way. I already knew about the virtual option.

However, it's still possible indeed for resellers to create their own nameservers once they know both ip's, jut fill them in at the DNS correctly, then in nameservers use ns1 and n2 resellerdomain.com and click save, that works perfectly.

So if I understand correctly the option with 2 ip's uses the internal ip's of the server.

And this one?
Uses 3 IP's, domain gets own IP
Does this mean the reseller get's 1 owned ip? Dedicated to the reseller? Is that correct?

So if I understand correctly the option with 2 ip's uses the internal ip's of the server.

And this one?

Does this mean the reseller get's 1 owned ip? Dedicated to the reseller? Is that correct?
Yes, it would take 2 of the IPs that were assigned to the Reseller in the "IPs #" package option, and assign them to the 2 nameservers.
Those 2 IPs would still be "free" and can be fully used normally as shared or owned IPs for Users, this NS stuff wouldn't affect that at all. It only affects the "ns=" value literally saved into the /usr/local/directadmin/data/admin/ips/1.2.3.4 files, (aka "Namerver" column for a given IP on the IP Management pages).

The 3 IP option is exactly the same, except the 3rd IP will be used to be "owned" for that Reseller's personal domain. No other Users can be put onto this owned IP.
However, looking at the older code, it seems the creation of the Reseller is now what controls that, so the 3 IP option wouldn't actually be any different than the 2 IP option.
I'll look into removing it from the interface to avoid confusion.

John

Back