Thread: Features Manager Idea

Features Manager Idea

Hi,

I think a good feature for DirectAdmin especially with customers coming over from cPanel is to add an easy way to manage "Features" on hosting packages. For example you are easily able to enable or disable every aspect of the control panel on cPanel. If you wanted to create packages that only had DNS Only features or if you wanted an email only package. At the moment there seems to be a bit of backend work compleixity to make this even possible in directadmin. Whereas this feature should apply to all themes or at least the default theme you have set in DirectAdmin.

The goal is to make it easier to make packages that are (but not limited to):

• DNS Only
    • Email Only
    • DNS and Email Forwarding Only

etc

Not sure how much work this would need but I do believe it should be looked into to make it easier.

Thanks!

+1 on this!

+1 from me.

I want to give feature of cronjob to every user on my server but need to change package of various users.
    Last edited by DewlanceVPS; 09-18-2019 at 08:49 AM.

+1
    feature very impose

Not really sure how I feel about this... I think it's potentially opening a doorway to make DirectAdmin much more complex than it needs to be.

But... one of the more utterly stupid things I think cPanel does, is limiting features based on packages instead of on users.

If I want a specific user to have access to Mailman or cronjobs, I have to copy the package as a new name, create a new feature list with mailman or cronjobs, set the feature set to that new package name, and upgrade/downgrade the account to that new package. Why can't "features" just be enabled at the user level?

So if DirectAdmin decides to go down this path... I think some consideration needs to be made to if you do "features" on a package level or on a user level.

Quote Originally Posted by sparek View Post
    Not really sure how I feel about this... I think it's potentially opening a doorway to make DirectAdmin much more complex than it needs to be.

But... one of the more utterly stupid things I think cPanel does, is limiting features based on packages instead of on users.

If I want a specific user to have access to Mailman or cronjobs, I have to copy the package as a new name, create a new feature list with mailman or cronjobs, set the feature set to that new package name, and upgrade/downgrade the account to that new package. Why can't "features" just be enabled at the user level?

So if DirectAdmin decides to go down this path... I think some consideration needs to be made to if you do "features" on a package level or on a user level.
    Either package level or user level would be idea. At the moment you have to mess with skins or CMD_ lists and even then the documentation on that isn't great.

The idea of this feature request is to have a system in place where it doesn't matter what theme you are using that is provided by DirectAdmin. If you want a user or a package to have "Email Only" (an example) functions then it's simple to do and ideally done in the GUI end of the control panel as an admin user.
    Last edited by Bertie; 09-19-2019 at 03:22 AM.

+1 for that.
    Now we need to use config files to make email only package.
    Russian translations of Directadmin
    Evolution skin: https://github.com/tuthost/directadmin-evolution-ru
    Enhanced skin: https://github.com/tuthost/directadmin-enhanced-ru

+1

this is definitely needed!