EMail & DA - problems

damn

Verified User
Hello,

Since I got my dedicated box with DA, email has just never worked properly.

For starters, Squirrelmail never worked. The login page comes up and you enter in the details of a valid account, and you get this:

Warning: fsockopen(): unable to connect to localhost:143 in /var/www/html/squirrelmail-1.4.2/functions/imap_general.php on line 454

Error connecting to IMAP server: localhost.
60 : Operation timed out

Anyway my work around for this is deleting the Squirrelmail link from all users control panel - as the Ubemail or whatever its called looks far better.

Secondly, my mail server can't send mail to any external mail servers. It will deliver to local mailboxes.

Sending an email via a valid local account using SMTP, it accepts the mail, then sends back an undeliverable message:

his message was created automatically by mail delivery software.

A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its
recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es) failed:

[email protected]
retry time not reached for any host after a long failure period

Here's the bit from the exim log:
2004-12-24 15:21:16 1Chgx2-000HO9-1e <= [email protected] H=(SYS) [203.142.139.251] P=smtp S=2964 [email protected] T="test" from <[email protected]> for [email protected]
2004-12-24 15:21:16 1Chgx2-000HO9-1e ** [email protected] F=<[email protected]> R=lookuphost T=remote_smtp: retry time not reached for any host after a long failure period

I have done all the things John ([email protected]) has suggested - all DNS stuff is correct - but nobody will accept mail from my box.

Maybe I need to try and send somebody here with a mailserver mail so you can check your log to see why your machine would knock it back?

I can't work out why none of this doesn't work out of the box? I setup CPanel on a test PC here in my office & it worked 100% perfectly, first time.

Thirdly, how to I get the root mail sent to me? I SSH and I find I've got 10's of emails about cron jobs and the like, and some of them I want they are my tripwire / chkrootkit reports.

Thanks in advance.

I had Exim re-compiled and it came good.

But as to why squirrelmail doesn't work...

damn said:
But as to why squirrelmail doesn't work...
I entered

Warning: fsockopen(): unable to connect

into the forum search page, and got over ten hits.

Have you tried looking at any of those threads to see if there's an answer?

Jeff

Jeff,

I admit I had not done a search. My point was moreso why does it not work out of the box. A quick look at the threads in the search would show that IMAP is not enabled or possibly even installed as part of DA - yet it installs Squirrelmail.

Why install Squirrelmail & not configure the rest of the system to suit?

Normally IMAP is working out of the box. At least on all the installs we've ever done.

What OS are you using?

We're using RHL and RHEL, and IMAP runs through xinetd.

There's a file at /etc/xinetd.d/imap.

The contents are:
Code:
# default: on
# description: imapd
service imap
{
        disable = no
        socket_type             = stream
        wait                    = no
        user                    = root
        server                  = /usr/sbin/imapd
        log_on_success          += DURATION USERID
        log_on_failure          += USERID
        nice                    = 10
}

If you're running a version of linux, this should work, but if it's not already there you'll have to restart xinetd after you create the file:

service xinetd restart

Jeff

Jeff,

FreeBSD 5.2.1.

Not overly concerned though, prefer the look of the other mail package.

Hello,

On FreeBSD, DA assumes that you have inetd installed and running. That assumption is true for the most part, but in a few rare cases, it's not. For the install of imapd, we copy over the imapd binary, and setup imap in the /etc/inetd.conf file.

If port 143 isn't listening after the install, try typing:
Code:
inetd

We have a how-to for debugging this problem: http://help.directadmin.com/item.php?id=18

Hope that helps.

As for the email issues, we've got another checklist to make sure the hostname is setup correctly: http://help.directadmin.com/item.php?id=16

John

Back