DirectAdmin | New Server Checklist

A few updates:

-> Disable Telnet
-> Mask apache server & services version numbers
-> CHKROOTKIT
-> Read mail sent to root@localhost
-> Reset MySQL Password
-> Site-Helper (directadmin information website)

Great list. But a lot to print out to have a definitive guide, with many posts not necessary to the instructions.

Can we plead someone to edit the thread to have a complete post and that's all, as some kind of how-to?

I guess I can do it if no one else can, but I can't delete the old thread or move mine to "sticky" status.

Jeff

i could make a PDF lisiting everything in this how to and keep a permanently updated copy of it on the main post ;)

If you want that done i will get it sorted as soon as im not quite so busy (hopefully in 2/3 days)

Chris

Last edited:
Well, I'm "Jeff", not Don.

But yes, I'd like to see that; I could print it out and put it in my "setup" book.

Jeff

At the moment, no it has not been made, sorry.

I hope to release it soon though but i want to get a DA box to test it on before i release it... and it still needs to be made ;)

Chris

ProWebUK said:
I hope to release it soon though but i want to get a DA box to test it on before i release it... and it still needs to be made ;)
Chris, if you can do it remotely, let me know; I can give you a box to test it on; I've got a running DA test box at my home on a static IP.

You can send me an email with your phone number and I can call you to discuss any issue involved in you using the server, or you can call me. But since I pay only us$0.05/minute for calls to the U.K. (I use voip) I certainly don't mind calling you.

Jeff

Ok, thanks Jeff.

Once its complete, if i still have no test box i will give you a shout :)

Thanks
Chris

In addtion to the "Reset MySQL Password" guide:

To reset the MySQL password with DA, you have to additionally edit: /usr/local/directadmin/conf/mysql.conf to reflect your new da_admin password ("root" is not the username used).

Updates have been made to the statistics section, also the skins section has been updated

Chris

kernel upgrades for single and dual processor servers has been added under server upgrades

over the last 2 days i have added these:

-> Update PHP (4.3.3) using DA custom apache build system
-> Install PRM (process resource monitor)
-> Install Bandwidth Bar
-> Install Darwin streaming server

enjoy them ;) any problems please post here or in the appropriate forums :)

Chris

ProWebUK said:
over the last 2 days i have added these:

-> Update PHP (4.3.3) using DA custom apache build system
Does this automagically get done when I follow the new installation instructions, which include adding the apache build system, or do I have to do it again with some new source?
-> Install PRM (process resource monitor)
-> Install Bandwidth Bar
Where do I find these, please? Pretty please (I'm up to my elbows in alligators and need all the help I can get today).
Would you consider giving us the config directive that does that; my books and I are separated by miles today :( .
-> Install Darwin streaming server
I thought the multimedia files can be streamed through http? If so, why would you want to use the server?

My recollection (from a few years ago) is that when we rebuilt a server for a client we installed neither Darwin nor Real Server because we found we didn't need them; our clients could use http streaming.

Am I just flat out not remembering correctly, or would there be a reason to install Darwin anyway?

Thanks.

Jeff

jlasman said:
Does this automagically get done when I follow the new installation instructions, which include adding the apache build system, or do I have to do it again with some new source?

I am assuming you just run the system and it updates php itself... nearly 100% certain thats it :) , you will obviously need to restart apache after its done (unless the script does that)

jlasman said:
Where do I find these, please? Pretty please (I'm up to my elbows in alligators and need all the help I can get today).

There are download links on the guides :)

jlasman said:
Would you consider giving us the config directive that does that; my books and I are separated by miles today :( .

again, everything you need along with the locations should be there. Its all default apache, if you cant find a particular file use the locate command ;)

jlasman said:
I thought the multimedia files can be streamed through http? If so, why would you want to use the server?

My recollection (from a few years ago) is that when we rebuilt a server for a client we installed neither Darwin nor Real Server because we found we didn't need them; our clients could use http streaming.

Am I just flat out not remembering correctly, or would there be a reason to install Darwin anyway?

Thanks.

Jeff

im not 100% sure on this, we installed it and it does look pretty good, i dont think it supports MP3 or the real format, i think its for live streaming as it does mention connecting a mic to the computer / server... that could be quite a difficult task for some ;)

please note that im not sure on the uninstall for darwin; im guessing just kill the process block the port and remove all files although i cant guarantee that will work.

Chris

Chris, I believe you only need Darwin and/or Real Server if you're going to do live streaming.

Obviously most of us in the hosting business aren't going to do live streaming... to offer live streaming you have to have a live show come in on a small amount of bandwidth and go out on lots of bandwidth.

There are a few companies that specialize in this kind of hosting; you could either pass up the business (and probably lose less than you would if you tried to do it yourself), or you could refer to someone else or resell someone else.

One of our website clients produces radio shows. Even though she doesn't serve them in realtime, she still uses a company that specializes in doing radio show streaming.

Jeff

I know what you mean... most wont use it although it could come in handy for doing company announcements for a host or similar ;)

I had a play with the one currently on one of our servers and you can make a "playlist" where you put the locations of files, it then plays them. I have not yet tested how you stream the files although im almost sure you just connect to http://IP:PORT :)

I will leave it there if anyone wants it anyway.

Chris

Anybody have a full list of ports to keep open when installing a firewall with DA (including UDP)? The how-to is intended for Ensim ;)

Back