DirectAdmin | New Server Checklist

I would just like to point out while im still updating the thread :D

If you have any ideas for new howto guides, want to request a howto, or have written a new howto / released a new tool for DirectAdmin it would be great to see them posted here :)

Also, if you have found a how to guide elsewhere on the internet feel free to post up a link and if appropriate, I will link it up from the main checklist post.

Chris

All links updated from rackshack.net to ev1servers.net, KISS my fiewall updated to v2.0 which seems to be a huge improvement on the already brilliant V1 :)

Chris

Ok, I've got an absolutely STUPID question...

Where is the box admin e-mail address setup? New box won't send the creator duplicate welcome e-mails, but the client gets theirs.

Thanks guys.

Joe

Yes, I believe thats where the creator duplicates are going - haven't checked - is that set in httpd.conf or through the panel?

I changed it in httpd.conf - is there someplace else?

under add-ons & advice:

-> Read mail sent to root@localhost

Chris

Still not getting them Chris

/var/log/exim/mainlog shows:

2003-11-28 20:16:50 1APtj8-0008Mh-SC <= [email protected] U=admin P=local S=1699
2003-11-28 20:16:50 1APtj8-0008Mj-V7 <= [email protected] U=admin P=local S=1734
2003-11-28 20:16:51 1APtj8-0008Mj-V7 => admin <[email protected]> R=localuser T=local_delivery
2003-11-28 20:16:51 1APtj8-0008Mj-V7 Completed

where is that e-mail address set?

hmm.... don't kill meh for this but... would it be possible to have a freeBSD server checklist as well? :)

I'm not 100% with FreeBSD since i have never used it, although I could grab a few guides there would not really be a way i could guarantee they would work. In other words, the BSD checklist may not be a good idea coming from me :p

Chris

A how to on updateing mod_perl to the newest which i think is 5.8.2 would be nice to see, i have been needing to reinstall perl to fix a problem for a while but im not as sure on how to do this.

Thanks
Justin

Im looking back now, 5.8.2 is actually not the latest release, 5.9.0 is. RHN is providing 5.6.1 so being unavailable to you could be for a number of reasons.

If you want newer verions and its now showing up with up2date I suggest you simply download the rpm from http://rpmfind.net/linux/rpm2html/search.php?query=perl compatable with your system and run:

rpm -Uvh perl<version_info>.rpm

Chris

I want the latest bug free and secure version. Maybe I'll stay with 5.8.0 ;)

But can't perl also be update with CPAN? At least it would check if the modules won't break.

Here's the skinny on what up2date will give us:

RedHat sticks to a version number throughout the life of a distribution; they do that to make sure compatibility won't become an issue.

They occasionally backport features and always backport security fixes, into the version they support for a given distribution, but they don't upgrade the distribution.

So if RH is providing 5.6.1, then that's what they'll provide throughout the life of your distribution number.

They might or might not backport the features from 5.8.x into it.

If you want to upgrade of what RH supports officially for your distribution, you're on your own.

Jeff

I'm using this command to check if I don't have uneeded RPMs and if the ones I have are not corrupted :

rpm -Va > rpmcheck.txt

Just added the following:

-> Optimize MySQL 4
-> Automate Urchin V5
-> MailScanner MRTG guide
-> MailScanner 4.24 for Exim 4.24
-> Full (unofficial) DirectAdmin backup guide / software

Also added a while back and not mentioned:

-> Script to convert users to resellers & vice versa

While im posting in the thread again i'd like to point out more time, if your looking for a how-to guide of absolutely anything related to directadmin or linux feel free to make a request here :)

Chris

Chris,

Drop me a PM possibly we and work togather in putting a FreeBSD guide...

ProWebUK said:
I'm not 100% with FreeBSD since i have never used it, although I could grab a few guides there would not really be a way i could guarantee they would work. In other words, the BSD checklist may not be a good idea coming from me :p

Chris

Im probably not your man when it comes to FBSD, i have no experience with it at all..... the only thing it would be worth me doing would be add guides you provide :)

If you have any ideas or suggestions how we could work something out like this for FBSD you are free to post here, email me or PM me at any time and i will do my best to help out :)

Chris

Just wanted to say a big massive thanks for this. This should really be linked to from the admin-helper site.

Back