OpenSSH 4.0 released

Hmm, i Messed up.

I use the link above to upgrade ssh. It all went fine en when I did sshd -v i saw:

OpenSSH_4.0p1, OpenSSL 0.9.7a Feb 19 2003

After that i uninstalled the openssl rpms.. That was a mistake i think. Now the ssh service is gone. When i did sshd -v i got nothing.

So I installed it again. Now i have sshd back, but the service is still missing.. What to do?

You don't say which OS you're running.

I'd uninstall the RPM(s) you installed, and install the proper ones for your distribution.

Jeff

I use fc1

As i said the proble was that i uninstalled the rpm's . So no i have the old rpm's again installed.

But how to get the sshd server from the tarball |?

What tarball?

The usual way would be to untar the tarball into a test directory and look through the contents.

If you have the fc1 CDROM you could mount it and look through it. If you have the fc1 iso you can mount it onto a linux system as a loop device and read files in it as if it were a CDROM.

Jeff

I think I'm lost somewhere.

When you wrote "fc1" I prsumed you mean Fedora Core 1.

Do you mean for a BSD release?

Jeff

Because the tarball you've downloaded is for OpenBSD.

BSD is NOT linux.

Jeff

Pretty sure that is the correct version as the master site for OpenSSH os openBSD and that link goes to the portable version .

Ah, didn't see that it was for bsd.. But i could install it and the sshd function worked, but the service was not installed.

Because BSD and Linux have different startup methods.

I strongly recommend installing the proper version of SSH.

Jeff

Sorry for making that sound weird.
But the version that chielsen downloaded was the correct one.

I also download the same one and installed it on Redhat 9, works perfectly.

I don't think I made my post clear.

The `portable` version is for linux distro other than BSD

Last edited:
# portupgrade openssh-portable-overwrite-base

it worked fine on freebsd FreeBSD 5.2.1-RELEASE

Back