Program Developer

M3bik

Verified User
Hello.

I am looking to create a LAN based server, so I can develop programs locally. I would like to install DA on my server, so I can develop several DA programs. The server will not be accessed over the internet, nor will money be made with the use of this server. I am currently a student looking to learn more. The server's IP will be 192.168.0.185 which is a local IP, only accessable through my LAN.

Is it possible for me to get a license for my personal use on my LAN cheaply or will cost the same, even though it will not be made accessable over the internet?

Thanks.

Unfortunately you will need a public IP address to install DirectAdmin on. Currently they do not allow the installation of DA on private networks, only public. If you really want DA, I would suggest using a public IP address if you have one and bind it to a computer at your location or just rent a server with DA already installed.

They do not offer discounts for those developing 3rd party extensions. You'll have to buy a full license.

I'm just a student trying to learn as much as I can. :)

I am a senior in High school. I'm a member of a club called FBLA (Future Business Leaders of America) and placed 2nd in the state of Louisiana in Networking Concepts. I'm qualified to go to Nationals in Orlando, Florida... However, I do not have the money to do so.... :( I love to learn. Yet, I'm tired of school.... Ironic, isn't it?

Last edited:
Hello,

I understand where you are coming from (I was a senior in HS just last year!). Perhaps we can make a deal in where we lend you a server of ours so you can experiment on? Let me know if you are interested, just PM or email me!

We have one testbed server. It can be setup over and over again as necessary, but only on CentOS (RHEL) 3.3 (fully updated).

It's not always available, depending on our needs.

Jeff

I'm going to try to install PHP and MySQL on the server I have locally. It has apache 2.0 already installed and running.

Hopefully this works.

I don't want to be a bother to someone else, that's why I'd prefer to do it locally.

Anyone know of a CP or anything free I can use that will install PHP and MySQL automatically?

I've tried, but no luck...

What OS are you installing? Most of the Linux distros will let you install MySQL, apache and php during install. I fyou install X on the machine then you can use a graphical installer/updater to install them later. Plus you can use the gui to configure them with things like MySQL admin.

Webmin has a plugin that lets you setup virtual servers and stuff and is supposed to work like a free hosting CP somewhat.

If you are going to have multiple sites you will need to setup Bind also. Which is a good idea anyway really.

Why would someone need to setup BIND just because s/he was hosting multiple sites?

Jeff

Back