Exim.. Not sending mail.. Smtp authentication

GNeRaL

Verified User
first, thunderbird can check mail server for new emails, i didnt get any error.. but, cant receiving mails..

and, i cant send a new email.. Asking password. Password true, but i giving WRONG PASSWORD error..

Please help..

Attachments

• damailpanel.png
    damailpanel.png
    49 KB · Views: 390
I'm seeing the same error - did you ever find a solution to your problem? I am seeing possible problems with Thunderbird authentication with Exim.

Is your ISP blocking port 25? Many are doing that now, and that prevents you from sending email, unless you change the port. This has nothing to do with Thunderbird or any other email client. In your case, you can test that by opening up a command prompt window and typing:
telnet smtp.server_host 25
if you receive a welcome message, then you should be able to send email, you just need to configure the authenication correctly. If it times out, then your ISP is blocking port 25, and you will need to use an alternate port for sending email.

You should also check to see from what server you receive a welcome message; AOL and some other ISPs will transparently redirect all port 25 requests to their own mailservers.

Jeff

It's definately being rejected by the server ; but I can't yet figure out why. I set up another server identically but it seems to work ok with exim authentication. So it must be something on this one. I'll let everyone know once I find the source of the problem.

Check the exim mainlog file, it should be located in /var/log/exim . It should tell you why it is being rejected.

It's easier to find rejects in the rejectlog file; as there's not as much to look through.

Jeff

Domain Admin SMTP Errors?

I am having a similar problem with Thunderbird email using IMAP, but the problem seems to be limited to the admin account for the domain in question. My other users can authenticate with [email protected], but my admin account doesn't have the @domain.com portion in the pop email account setting. Is there an easy way to get the admin account to be able to authenticate? I can receive new mail, but can't send outbound. Any help is appreciated as this is my main email address and trying to change it at this point would be very painful.

You should be able to authenticate without the @example.com portion.

Can't you?

Jeff

I had this problem but it seems to be fixed now. I think all I did was start using the full email address for authentication instead of just the username.

Also if you had tried adding on another account to the main user account, try to use the @domain.com of that second account for SMTP authentication.

Using thunderbird I am getting the following error when I try to send no matter what I put in the smtp outbound server information:

An error has occurred sending mail: . Please verify that your email address is correct in your mail preferences and try again.

My email address in my mail preferences is in [email protected] format as it should be. Again this is only a problem with the domain admin account for this domain. All of the other instances of this work just fine.

If this situation isn't going to work, is there an easy way to update the admin on the account so that I can create my email account without the loss of current data?

Thanks!

Not sure why you're getting this; exim doesn't care what your email address is.

Can you post the exact error message as you get it?

Who's your ISP? Are you sure they allow you to reach your own email server, and that your outgoing email isn't being redirected to their server?

Jeff

Back