ASP support with DA!

We've tried it.

Our experience with it is that it's a great effort but almost useless for most users, and certainly not worth advertising...

Because when most of your clients think of ASP they're thinking of VBScript for ASP, and you don't get that unless you're running on the Microsoft platform, or on Apache with the commercial product I mention below.

So while you do get ASP functionality, you don't get what people expect, which is VBScript on ASP.

Sun has a commercial product which will give you ASP with both VBScript and JScript; it used to be called ChilisoftASP; now it's called Sun Java System Active Server Pages 4.0. You can find it here.

It's us$495, but has specific system requirements.

While I've never installed it on a DA system, I don't forsee any problems except perhaps for figuring out how to install it within CustomApache.

Jeff

If you want asp you might as well just launch a windows box.

is there any news about this feature on DA?
Did you read my post directly above yours? The one that was written in 2005?

Do you want asp without VBscript? If so, look here. You can certainly install it on a DirectAdmin server.

Note that the link in my earlier post will now take you to a page that says Sun is no longer offering the product, that it's past EOL. As far as I know there's no option to run VB script via .asp.

So what are you asking? Are you asking DirectAdmin to develop a product which will run VBscript?

I'd guess that this would be outside the scope of what a hosting control panel would do.

Or are you asking DirectAdmin to develop a control panel for Windows?

Just what are you looking for?

Jeff

I was wondering if it would be possible to run asp pages by installing Apache::ASP on a DA box. Nothing to do with DA. Just would DA be fine after installing Apache::ASP.
thanks

Installing Apache::ASP will not impact DirectAdmin. In fact, my post of January 14, 2010, specifically points to Apache::ASP. The problem is that Apache::ASP doesn't do what most people expect, which is to allow the use of VBscript with apache.

Jeff

I successfully install Sun ASP with DA, and works fine.
I have to made an script that runs a cronjob to generate a httpd.conf with virtuals in other file and that file works with sun asp as a conf file.

Its work fine and its starts when apache does.

I successfully install Sun ASP with DA, and works fine.
I have to made an script that runs un cronjob with regenerate the httpd.conf with virtuals in other file and that file works with sun asp as a conf file.

Its work fine and its starts when apache does.

Sounds good. How about deeply test? I mean as far as I know, not all asp functions are supported. Did you test such functions?

Sounds good. How about deeply test? I mean as far as I know, not all asp functions are supported. Did you test such functions?

all functions of ASP sun is working, connection to mysql, odbc, etc,etc.

And DA doesnt give any trouble becuase i enable ASP to work with all Vhosts. So configuration file is the directadmin-vhost file.

Is Sun ASP still available?

I found this (forums.sun.com):
PLEASE NOTE: Sun Java System Active Server Pages (Sun ASP) has entered it's End Of Life (EOL) process. Key dates for the EOL process are:

Last Order Date June 08, 2007
Last Ship Date: September 07, 2007
End Of Service Life Date: August 10, 2012

Users of Sun ASP are encouraged to begin evaluating alternative server-side scripting technologies.
Jeff

I have asp asun froms 2001, i used always, and i dont need microsoft for asp engines so is working for me and my customers. And we are envolved in the experience to make ASP.net work on Linux as well. :) give us good luck

A link to what?

Sun ASP was a commercial product (and not cheap) and is no longer available.

Jeff

Forget about it... I meant a asp web site which runs in linux. A running web site which I can visit... Why do you send me google? Weird...

Back