Full system backup

S2S-Robert

Verified User
Ok, another topic lists the "worst case scenario" as having a hd crash. Well, lucky me, I've got it.

I've replaced the HD, I'm reinstall DA as we speak and I'm transferring all the backup files I have to the server as well.

Now the 'tricky' part. I have a full system backup and it gives me 4 directories:

/apache
/bind
/custom
/mysql

Where do I find the user backups that I can simply click & restore?

Regards

Robert

The backup tool from the admin level which uses sysbak does not have a restore function so you can't just click on restore.

Are you sure you backed up your user's?
It not part of those 4 directories. (Maybe custom, but I can't remember)

It wasn't and there weren't any. (user backups that can recreate the user I mean).

Ok, I somewhat got it working again (with the help of Easy server management who did a great job!).

Here are the steps we followed to get it working:

* Install new HD
* Install correct OS (had some segfault probs, so had to reinstall)
* Install DA
* Recreate DA users by hand (tough job)
* Restore /home/ backup dirs
* Restore MySQL backup dir
* Chown all user files to correct users (different creation order, so the files were owned by the wrong people)

Now the users have to recreate their e-mail addresses and ftp accounts. The rest seems to be working.

I strongly urge everyone to backup /usr/local/directadmin as well, as this was not the case with me. Therefor I lost all the reseller/account information and I'll have to go into the accounting records to find out the correct info again.

Well anyway, the sites are running and things are beginning to look sunny again.

Once again, my gratitude goes out to easy server management who did a great job.

A properly done DA sysbk (System backup) should allow easy restore; we've done it from time to time.

I'll be doing on again shortly to upgrade to a faster system, and when I do I will keep track of everything I backup and restore.

And then I'll make sure I post an updated How-To.

Perhaps an easier method would be to do reseller backups of all resellers; reseller restores are quite simple.

Jeff

Back