[BETA] DNS master2slave

I am having a problem like t.bloo described above.

I have setup master2slave and have it moving the files to /var/named/slaves/namedftp/ I am able to see a file called "slaves.named.conf". This is the only item in this directory. However, if i look in this file I see that there should also be a directory with an IP Address. This is not being created nor is the .db files. example:
Code:
zone "music.com" { type slave; file "/var/named/slaves/namedftp/67.xxx.xxx.xxx/music.com.db"; masters { 67.xxx.xxx.xxx; }; };
Can I just create the IP folder and set the owner as named and it work or will I need to do something else.

I am running CentOS4.x w/ Bind 9.2.4

After doing a tail -f on var/log/messages I see that I am getting the following error:
Code:
Feb  8 17:58:53 pokey named[1976]: /etc/named.conf:68: open: /var/named/slaves/namedftp/slaves.named.conf: file not found
However the file is there. I am at a loss.

Last edited:
I'm sorry but I don't have time to look into this now.

Are there any other readers of this thread who could help?

Jeff

I have reinstalled the master2slave scripts from scratch. I am now getting this error message when I try to start named on the slave server. **I removed
the majority of the error info to shorten the post.**

Code:
[root@xxx etc]# /sbin/service named start
Starting named: /etc/named.conf:6: open: /var/named/slaves/namedftp/slaves.named.conf: file not found

Mar 14 09:45:12.814 starting BIND 9.2.4 -g
Mar 14 09:45:12.814 using 2 CPUs
Mar 14 09:45:12.819 loading configuration from '/etc/named.conf'
Mar 14 09:45:12.819 /var/named/slaves/namedftp/slaves.named.conf:1: unknown option 'zone'
Mar 14 09:45:12.819 /var/named/slaves/namedftp/slaves.named.conf:2: unknown option 'zone'
Mar 14 09:45:12.819 /var/named/slaves/namedftp/slaves.named.conf:3: unknown option 'zone'
Mar 14 09:45:12.820 /var/named/slaves/namedftp/slaves.named.conf:4: unknown option 'zone'
Mar 14 09:45:12.820 /var/named/slaves/namedftp/slaves.named.conf:5: unknown option 'zone'
Mar 14 09:45:12.820 /var/named/slaves/namedftp/slaves.named.conf:6: unknown option 'zone'
Mar 14 09:45:12.825 loading configuration: failure
Mar 14 09:45:12.825 exiting (due to fatal error)
Error in configuration file /etc/named.conf :              [FAILED]

You can see that it says it can't find the file, however the next serveral lines says that it does find the file but does not know the option 'zone'. Here is
what one of the zone lines look like:
Code:
zone "519music.com" { type slave; file "/var/named/slaves/namedftp/67.xxx.xxx.xxx/519music.com.db"; masters { 67.xxx.xxx.xxx; }; };
Is there something that I can change in the script to make this work?

Does the file:

/var/named/slaves/namedftp/slaves.named.conf

exist before you start named?

Can you cut and paste a few lines from your slaves.named.conf file?

Can you cut and paste the lines from your /etc/exim.conf file that cause the first error message?

Thanks.

Jeff

Jeff,

Does the file:

/var/named/slaves/namedftp/slaves.named.conf

exist before you start named?
Yes

Can you cut and paste a few lines from your slaves.named.conf file?
Code:
zone "519music.com" { type slave; file "/var/named/slaves/namedftp/67.xxx.xxx.xxx/519music.com.db"; masters { 67.xxx.xxx.xxx; }; };
zone "a-1appliance.com" { type slave; file "/var/named/slaves/namedftp/67.xxx.xxx.xxx/a-1appliance.com.db"; masters { 67.xxx.xxx.xxx; }; };
zone "a-zapplianceparts.com" { type slave; file "/var/named/slaves/namedftp/67.xxx.xxx.xxx/a-zapplianceparts.com.db"; masters { 67.xxx.xxx.xxx; }; };
zone "acederringer.com" { type slave; file "/var/named/slaves/namedftp/67.xxx.xxx.xxx/acederringer.com.db"; masters { 67.xxx.xxx.xxx; }; };
zone "alabamacranes.com" { type slave; file "/var/named/slaves/namedftp/67.xxx.xxx.xxx/alabamacranes.com.db"; masters { 67.xxx.xxx.xxx; }; };
zone "appliancepartsworldwide.com" { type slave; file "/var/named/slaves/namedftp/67.xxx.xxx.xxx/appliancepartsworldwide.com.db"; masters { 67.xxx.xxx.xxx; }; };
zone "archwayusa.com" { type slave; file "/var/named/slaves/namedftp/67.xxx.xxx.xxx/archwayusa.com.db"; masters { 67.xxx.xxx.xxx; }; };
zone "backgroundsinc.com" { type slave; file "/var/named/slaves/namedftp/67.xxx.xxx.xxx/backgroundsinc.com.db"; masters { 67.xxx.xxx.xxx; }; };
zone "bakerapplianceparts.com" { type slave; file "/var/named/slaves/namedftp/67.xxx.xxx.xxx/bakerapplianceparts.com.db"; masters { 67.xxx.xxx.xxx; }; };
zone "behtazehta.com" { type slave; file "/var/named/slaves/namedftp/67.xxx.xxx.xxx/behtazehta.com.db"; masters { 67.xxx.xxx.xxx; }; };
zone "bellrich.com" { type slave; file "/var/named/slaves/namedftp/67.xxx.xxx.xxx/bellrich.com.db"; masters { 67.xxx.xxx.xxx; }; };
zone "bigbee.us" { type slave; file "/var/named/slaves/namedftp/67.xxx.xxx.xxx/bigbee.us.db"; masters { 67.xxx.xxx.xxx; }; };
zone "blackscorpionfilms.com" { type slave; file "/var/named/slaves/namedftp/67.xxx.xxx.xxx/blackscorpionfilms.com.db"; masters { 67.xxx.xxx.xxx; }; };
Can you cut and paste the lines from your /etc/exim.conf file that cause the first error message?
I'm guessing that you mean named.conf (I do not have exim on this server). Here is my named.conf setup:
Code:
// Default named.conf generated by install of bind-9.2.4-2
options {
        directory "/var/named";
        statistics-file "/var/named/data/named_stats.txt";
        recursion no;
        include "/var/named/slaves/namedftp/slaves.named.conf";
};
include "/etc/rndc.key";

Thanks for the help,
Greg

I'm sorry it's taken me so long to respond.

What's the line immediately above the first line that begins with the word zone?

Jeff

The first line is:
Code:
Nothing above it.

Got it working.

Jeff,

After a power supply failure on the server that I had been working on yesterday, I decided to set Master2Slave up on a different server. I had it up and running in a matter of 20 minutes. The only problem that I ran into on this install was that the "namedftp" folder located in:
Code:
/var/named/slaves/
was owned by root. Once I changed the owner to named and set the permissions to 775 it started working.

I'm still not sure why the other server had problems with this. I did nothing different this time. Hmm....
Now to find a new Power Supply for a 1U Penguin Server...

Thanks for the help,
Greg

But only for DirectAdmin servers :) What if there are cPanel and Plesk servers?

Or just vanilla linux boxes running bind.

Jon
That's the way I run it now. DA server set as master with another server running CentOS with Bind. No Control panel of any sort on that server, just a plain jane vanilla server all managed via SSH. Works like a charm.

yes, setup like what is in the instructions.

I do not remeber the exact times as I have not checked the cron in a while. But we do go in and check to make sure that new entries are being update every day or so (just to make sure everything is still working).

Anyone is interested in releasing RC7? :) We can make it better ;)

Im having a few problems installing the master.

There is no error messages that i can see but i dont get a file called htpp://masterip/namedftp/masterip.named.conf at all it just doesnt generate it

The ownership of the files etc is correct as far as i can see

Code:
drwxr-xr-x  2 namedftp named  4096 Sep 28 12:03 namedftp
-rwxr-xr-x 1 namedftp named 1028 May  6  2005 /home/namedftp/getzone.dns.sh

Any help most apreciated. Im running fc5

Nick

EDIT
Forgot to say after running the getzone.dns.sh there is now a file in /home/namedftp called named.master.conf

Last edited:
managed to get it working

in the getzone.dns.sh the last line to copy the file to $webroot/namedftp/<masterip>.named.conf was commented out.

Also had to change the $webroot to /var/www/html in the copy line aswell as it was throwing up errors like this

Code:
sh-3.1$ ot create regular file `/namedftp/x.x.x.x.named.conf': No such file or directory

now works fine with
Code:
cp -f /home/namedftp/named.master.conf /var/www/html/namedftp/$masterip.named.conf

I wanted to contribute my experience using master2slave for the last six months.

I have found this system to work flawlessly, I am using Centos 4.4 for the Master server and Centos 3.3 for the Slave.

I found the readme very helpful, it was simple to setup and has run perfectly ever since.

it certainly has performed like a release quality product on my systems.

Keep up the good work.

My only criticism is as follows;

- There is a typo that needs correcting in the getzone.dns.sh, '$weboroot' --> '$webroot' on the final line
- The readme does not inform you to uncomment the cp line at the end of getzone.dns.sh, but this is required to get things working.

Last edited:
Back