How to Upgrade ClamAV-0.80 to latest version in a running FreeBSD mail server...

jdeguzman

Could anyone show me , how to upgrade ClamAV-0.8 to its latest version ClamAV-0.86 in freeBSD, i dont wanna mess anything because it's running ok, but it always shows a warning mesg everytime I reboot the system..

Thanks in Advance!!!

jdeguzman said:
Could anyone show me , how to upgrade ClamAV-0.8 to its latest version ClamAV-0.86 in freeBSD, i dont wanna mess anything because it's running ok, but it always shows a warning mesg everytime I reboot the system..

Thanks in Advance!!!
you can do this from ports.
But first can you inform me how you have install and config clamav?

Moved to E-Mail Technical Discussion subforum, since Clam AV is not included in DA.

Jeff

Just download the tarball

Extract:

tar zxvf clamav-xxx.tar.gz
./configure
make
make install

and restart the process on a quiet moment.

yeah thanks for all the help, for blueice, i did install using qmailrocks installlation guides from qmailrocks.org and i was able to get through with it.

Thanks all u folks!!!

Any Idea....

jdeguzman said:
yeah thanks for all the help, for blueice, i did install using qmailrocks installlation guides from qmailrocks.org and i was able to get through with it.

Thanks all u folks!!!

We'll qmail uses Mailscanner :) strangly there's nothing about there about updating clamav :s

qmail was last revised in either 1998 or 1999, and I don't remember it using MailScanner. I haven't used it in a few years, and I don't have my qmail book here today, but it's more likely someone has created a patch for qmail that uses it.

Jeff

jlasman said:
qmail was last revised in either 1998 or 1999, and I don't remember it using MailScanner. I haven't used it in a few years, and I don't have my qmail book here today, but it's more likely someone has created a patch for qmail that uses it.

Jeff

If you read his post, he's talking about qmailrocks installation guide ;) This was what i was reffering to, that uses a Mailscanner setup to do a virus/spam scan ;)

http://qmailrocks.org/

Qmail-scanner :)

Well, so far as what I've done last night, it went smoothly and was able to update the clamav to v86.2_1, I just downloaded the tar file from sourceforge for the latest release of clamav, then did ./configure , make install clean from the path where the source is located. That's It!

Anyway, thanks guys for the ideas you've shared that led me to come up with a nice solution, One thing qmailrocks!!!

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

i keep getting this in my clamd.log:
ERROR: Can't save PID in file /var/run/clamd.pid

i have no idea whats the problem is

sander815 said:
i keep getting this in my clamd.log:
ERROR: Can't save PID in file /var/run/clamd.pid

i have no idea whats the problem is
I do :) ...

The username under which clamd is running doesn't have rights to create a file in the /var/run directory.

It needs to save it's PID or it can't shut itself down.

Jeff

Warning:
This could easily compromise the security of your server:

I don't recommend changing the user it runs under.

I'd make that user a member of the group that owns /var/run.

And I'd give the group rw access.

Again, this could compromise the security of your server. I've not thought out all the security ramifications.

Jeff

From the /usr/local/etc/clamd.conf

# This option allows you to save a process identifier of the listening
# daemon (main thread).
# Default: disabled
#PidFile /var/run/clamd.pid

Standard it should be disabled!

I currently don't support ClamAV, and I can't tell you anything about FreeBSD :( .

I merely responded to the error message. To a sysadmin with as much experience as I have (it's simply a matter of age and years, so I hope no one considers this an idle boast) it stuck out at me.

Jeff

Back