Message POP Limit

DRKT

Verified User
Hi!

You added the limte for the POP account in your new version 1.196… THANK YOU, it is really appreciated!!!

I tested this new modification and when I filled my 2 Mo (I had put 2 Mo of limit to test) and the last mails sent were never received and nor on behalf of the sender or the receiver did not have a message informing it that the box was full, is this normal?

Thank you for your good work!!

P.S. Sorry for my English, i'm not very good!!

Hello,

I change this information where exactly in DA???

Thanks!!

Hello,

It's in your /etc/exim.conf
just search the file for "quota" and you can put it just below the quota line (it's about 3/4 down the file)

John

Thanks John!!

Perfect!!:) The owner of the account receive the warning message!!:D

But, the message is not automatically returned to their senders. (to inform it)

Why?:confused:

Hello,

Exim will keep trying for the standard 7 days (it should give you intermittent updates on it's attempts), but the sender should get the email after the 7 days are up and space wasn't available, or else the user clears out his inbox, making room for the new message, and then it should arrive. (this generally isn't instant)

John

DirectAdmin Support said:
Exim will keep trying for the standard 7 days (it should give you intermittent updates on it's attempts),
You've got me confused John. Do you mean that the sender's MTA will keep trying for up to it's default number of days? Or that the local exim server will accept the email and keep it in it's local queue for 7 days?

Jeff

Ok, now you've got me confused.. :)
I *believe* (correcting myself) it would probably sit in the senders MTA... and exim would just deny it each time, until the sending MTA either gives up, or space becomes available... this would have to be confirmed because you've got me double guessing myself :)

I know I *have* seen the error message that exim produces for a sender when he attempts to mail a full mailbox.. but we just have to confirm the actual circumstances required to get it.

John

Okay, now seeing what you meant to say, I can clarify it; I've been running mailservers only since '94 <smile> and was the western hemisphere distributor for the Windows MTA mailtraq for many years.

There are two kinds of undeliverables, temporary errors and permanent errors.

Permanent errors (for example "no such account") are never retried.

As for temporary errors (server unreachable, account over quota, etc.), all MTAs (mail transport agents, or mail servers) will retry for a configurable amount of time before giving up and sending back an undeliverable email notice to the sender. Some of them (including sendmail and exim for linux, and mailtraq for Windows, but not including qmail) also have a configurable amount of time after which they send a notice saything they haven't been able to make the delivery but will keep trying. For sendmail the default is 4 hours until the notice; I'm not sure what it is on exim.

Sendmail keeps trying for a default of either four or five days (I forget) and exim keeps trying for a default of 7 days (at least in your implementation). As I recall, sendmail doesn't notify again until it gives up. Exim sends a notice every day by default; I don't know if this can be changed.

So if mail can't be delivered because the mailbox is overquota (or for any other temporary reason), exim will send a temporary error back to the sending MTA, which will then decide how long to keep trying and whether or not to notify the sender in the meantime.

Thanks for your help, John. I hope this helps clarify the rest of it for everyone.

Jeff

Back