How can I use SSI?

ALJ

Verified User
Hey, I have never used SSI before, and I want to know what I have to do in order to make sure it works right.

I saw some stuff that talked about how you need to use .shtml, but then I saw something else that said you can avoid using .shtml by editing the .htaccess file. I would rather just use .html, but I will change my file extensions if I need to.
I saw some other things about some files you need to edit, or software you need to make sure is installed, but none of it was very clear.

What exactly do I need to do in order to use it?

All I really know is that in index.shtml I have this:

<!--#include file="/nav.htm"-->

<!--#echo var="DATE_LOCAL" -->

(and a file called nav.htm in the same directory)

but it doesn't work.

Last edited:
check your apache error logs, will typically let
you know where error lies

you could try also:

<!--#include virtual="nav.htm" -->

in your .shtml file

Hmm, no, that didn't work either. And, the error log was empty.

What else could the problem be? I really have no idea what is neccesary for this to work, its possible that I missed something obvious

erm its not my server...

How do I know if mod includes is installed or not? Or if Options +Includes is in my htaccess file?

I really dont know what i'm doing here :D

"Loaded Modules mod_ssl, mod_php4, mod_perl, mod_frontpage, mod_setenvif, mod_so, mod_headers, mod_expires, mod_auth_anon, mod_auth, mod_access, mod_rewrite, mod_alias, mod_userdir, mod_actions, mod_imap, mod_asis, mod_cgi, mod_dir, mod_autoindex, mod_include, mod_info, mod_status, mod_negotiation, mod_mime, mod_log_referer, mod_log_agent, mod_log_config, mod_env, mod_vhost_alias, http_core
"

So yup, its installed... Now what? :(

unless

Options +Includes

is in your's or the server's httpd.conf file,
you could try creating an .htaccess file containing:

Options +Includes

that should work, and if not, there must
be a configuration problem which your
server admin/owner etc would have to address.

ok, I can try that -- where does the hataccess file go?

Back