Portupgrade ProFTPD

floris

Verified User
Problem after portupgrade ProFTPD

Hi,

Am using FreeBSD 5.4. Even though i put da_proftpd in PKG_HOLD (pkgtools.conf) portupgrade upgraded ProFTPD from 1.2.10 to 1.3.0.r2_3. DA still uses 1.2.10, but the deamon won't automatically start anymore. It does start when i go to Admin level->Show Services and click Start though. My questions:

1) How can i safely remove 1.2.10 and let DA know i want to use 1.30.r2_3? Is it safe to do pkg_delete proftpd-1.2.10?
2) How can i let ProFTPD autostart again? Is proftpd_enable="YES" in rc.conf enough? Should it even be there?

When i do "pkg_info | grep proftpd" i see:

proftpd-1.2.10 Highly configurable ftp daemon
proftpd-1.3.0.r2_3 Highly configurable ftp daemon

Thanks.

Floris

Last edited:
1) I think you can't. The ProFTPD 1.2.10 installed is a DA package. So It's most likely modified to work with DA. pkg_delete proftpd-1.3.0.r2_3 is the best you can do I guess.

2) Same as 1. :)

Seems to be possible

With help of John ("There is no customized code in the proftpd binary, should be able to upgrade however you want from wherever you want with proftpd.") I successfully installed ProFTPD from the ports. This is what i did:

1) Made a backup of the proftpd.conf, proftpd.passwd and proftpd.hosts.vconf files. These files are located in /etc/
2) pkg_delete the old version
3) portinstalled the new version
4) Copied /usr/local/etc/proftpd.conf to /usr/local/etc/proftpd.conf.backup
5) Copied my previously backupped up directadmin proftpd.conf to /usr/local/etc/
6) Restarted proftpd

I'm not sure whether DirectAdmin writes to /etc/proftpd.conf? (in my tests only /etc/proftpd.passwd was touched). If so, a symlink should be added.

Works fine.
Floris

Last edited:
Back