Setting up a Ventrilo server?

Shortleap

Verified User
Setting up a Ventrilo server? <still need help>

Im not sure if many of you are aware of what ventrilo is, but it is like teamspeak, more or less people connect to it through sombodys server/ip and just talk like a chat room, but with mics instead of typing.
now that that is out of the way, I need to know if it is possible to create my own server using my domain? the example given of what you could do with a domain in Ventrilo's support was somthing like this:
ventrilo://www.myserver.com:3784/servername=MyServer

would there be anyway for me to be able to mimic that but with my site?
thanks.

Last edited:
Sure, if you've setup the DNS to resolve to the IP the Ventrilo server is running on.

For instance, if it ran on 192.168.1.100 you setup an A record for ventrilo.domain.com that points to that IP.

I dont know if that is fully solving my problem or im slow and missing somthing (no sarcasm implied, im really slow with this stuff.)
So what I want to do, is actually use my site to actually host the server itself, because my site has a good bandwith amount, and my internet at my home is fairly unstable. So is it possible to have it actually constantly run as a server? if so, how would I find the ip to have it run as and setup the rest? Sorry if I am not clear or hard to understand, or even lacking needed information.

Brett

Shortleap said:
I dont know if that is fully solving my problem or im slow and missing somthing (no sarcasm implied, im really slow with this stuff.)
So what I want to do, is actually use my site to actually host the server itself, because my site has a good bandwith amount, and my internet at my home is fairly unstable. So is it possible to have it actually constantly run as a server? if so, how would I find the ip to have it run as and setup the rest? Sorry if I am not clear or hard to understand, or even lacking needed information.

Brett

it should work under any ip you have assigned to the server.
and yes you can run it constantly. but be aware that you will now be impeded as you are running a heavy voip application on the background.
that could slow down the other apps.

Just a thought - check with your provider (if you dont own the server) if they'll allow this - especially on a shared box - they might frown on a server process like this running continuously.

alright but how would i physically go about setting this up? is what I am mainly asking.

You'd have to follow the installation instructions with the product. Normaly they are included. The other option would be to ask for support from the people you buy the product from or site where you download the product. It's nothing more or less than any other unix application and support is normally given by the devellopers of that product.

Please note that this discussion has nothing to do with DirectAdmin and I'll ask Jeff to move this to Off-Topic.

Regards,

Done.

Did anyone check (as I did) to see the installation instructions?

They're at this url.

They don't say whether or not root access is provided, but ssh access is.

So, Shrtleap, you'll have to ask your hosting company whether or not they'll let you install it, and if they'll allow you shell access.

Jeff

Back