Name servers

hawgjaw

Verified User
I set up an acct on my new server and went to zentek and tried to update my NS it will not take them and yes I did register it with them first, any ideas where to look for problem?

Not without specific information.

I don't know who Zentek is, but some high level domains require that the nameservers be working before the registrations will take.

So...

What is the domain?

Where did you register the domain?

Where did you register the nameservers?

What are the full nameserver names?

For what domain did you attempt to change the nameservers? And where did you attempt the change?

Jeff

What is the domain?-----hackhawgsfunhouse.com Where did you register the domain?-----Zentek Where did you register the nameservers?----with them they require it What are the full nameserver names?---ns1&2.bedrocksoriginaltavern.com. For what domain did you attempt to change the nameservers? And where did you attempt the change?-----answers are above.

Those two nameservers, ns1 and 2.bedrocksoriginaltavern.com, need to be registered with Zentek while logged into the account at Zentek where bedrocksoriginaltavern.com was registered.

It appears that you haven't done that, or at least not at least 72 hours ago, since doing a dig on the root servers doesn't return responses for the ns1 and 2.bedrocksoriginaltavern.com nameservers, which they would if the registration has been done.

Do you get your own account management system with Zentek? They appear to be a Dotster resller as are we, and it's a fairly straightforward process to register nameservers. If you haven't done it yet, log into the account where bedrocksoriginaltavern.com was set up and register the nameservers there.

Jeff

Yes I have acct management so I went to zentek and reg it under bedrocks also and ill give it time to update I just did all this tonight right, ill try and update the NS in the morning and see what it tells me then.

What Jeff is saying is that you nedd to register ns1 & ns2.bedrocksoriginaltavern.com as nameservers at Zentek. This is NOT the same as specifying them as the nameservers of your domain (which should be the 2nd step).

Regards,

Yes Thanks I got what he meant and I have done that already but it still will not take them for the site ns yet so im waiting awhile to give them time to update right, I will try again tomorrow to change them. But I have registered them tonight.

What do you mean by "not take them"?

The two nameservers are NOT registered. That's obvious because there aren't any glue records for them in the root servers.

So you should log into that account and ask for support.

But ...

.com domains take any nameservers, even if they're not set up.

And our Dotster reseller account has never given me a problem when either assigning or registering nameservers, even if they're not running.

So what do you mean by "not take them"? Are you getting a specific error message?

A whois on the dotster whois server says the domain uses these nameservers:

DNS1-BETA.ZENTEK.NET
DNS2-BETA.ZENTEK.NET

So I agree, you haven't been able to set up the nameservers you want.

But I don't know exactly how and where in the interface you're trying to set them up.

In any event, Zentek technical support should be able to help you.

Once you're logged in to your account you should have a way to reach tech support, and for most resellers that tech support is managed by Dotster and should be able to help you.

I don't see why this is a DA issue, so I'm moving the post to the "Off-Topic Discussion" forum.

Jeff

I just reg. them with zentek last night and what it says when I try to change them is they are unable to process the action, I was just trying to double ck myself. Im working it out with them I believe and Thanks for the help everyone.

Back