DirectAdmin and Red hat Linux Ending

Aussie

Verified User
Hi,

Does anyone know the plan for DirectAdmin and the end of supported Red Hat Linux in a month and a half?

Does DA work on Debian or others?

Jeff.

everone changes to either rh9 for 4 months, fedora for 3 months, enterprise for 5 years and $180 minimum or move to freebsd when DA comes out of beta............

ProWebUK said:
everone changes to either rh9 for 4 months, fedora for 3 months, enterprise for 5 years and $180 minimum or move to freebsd when DA comes out of beta
I'm presuming and hoping that you're being facetious.

Obviously none of us want to upgrade a server every few months.

Additionally, there's no guarantee that Fedora will be working and stable any time soon (the fedora-users mailing list has somewhere around 400 emails every day, most of them complaints), and there's no guarantee that DA will work with any of the RHEL flavors.

As far as FreeBSD is concerned, you'll find that 4.8 is destined for relatively early ending of support as well.

John and Mark have, iirc, committed to keeping the software they supply updated.

I'd suggest joinging the fedora-legacy list at Red Hat to keep up to date on attempts being made to keep old versions of RHL up to date.

Jeff

DirectAdmin got back to me with the plans. Debian will be there :)

I don't mind paying the RHEL price, but still cheesed off at what notice they give us all. Alot of other control panels don't work well on RH9, and what on Earth are Ensim going to do?

Guess this Christmas it will be a busy IT time.

Jeff.

jlasman said:
I'm presuming and hoping that you're being facetious.

Obviously none of us want to upgrade a server every few months.

yes, they are currently the only options i think DirectAdmin users (without staying with a current version of RH) have, none of them sound to good of an idea to me.

Originally posted by aussie
DirectAdmin got back to me with the plans. Debian will be there :)

I don't mind paying the RHEL price, but still cheesed off at what notice they give us all. Alot of other control panels don't work well on RH9, and what on Earth are Ensim going to do?

Guess this Christmas it will be a busy IT time.

Debian will be ready when? IMHO it needs to be ready at the very beginning of 2004 to be of much help at this time.

RHEL has been around for plenty of time, boxed versions have been in stores in the UK alone for a few months now, the only thing that would be recent is the emails they have sent out, 2 days ago with all options and a comparison chart.

I think the industry will be by quite hectic for the being of 2004, and possibly later on also, Hopefully we will be able to continue with our current OS's for a fait bit longer than we are expecting.

(are you aussie from EV1 forums?)

Chris

ProWebUK said:

Debian will be ready when? IMHO it needs to be ready at the very beginning of 2004 to be of much help at this time.

I don't think a Debian port will be to hard for John to get out soon.. Should be much easier than the FreeBSD port...

The Prohacker said:
I don't think a Debian port will be to hard for John to get out soon.. Should be much easier than the FreeBSD port...

hopefully, but don't forget, its likely there will need to be a beta release, so far i think FreeBSD has been in beta for over a month now?, with the time it takes to develop, then place in beta, will all users still be running stable and safe?

jlasman said:
RHL7.3 & RHL8 up2date services will expire the end of the year, and RHL9 will continue through April.

I recieved the dates a while back, luckily we have a few 9 servers aswell as 7.3 which will hopefully help us out with having to move servers around..

ProWebUK said:
hopefully, but don't forget, its likely there will need to be a beta release, so far i think FreeBSD has been in beta for over a month now?, with the time it takes to develop, then place in beta, will all users still be running stable and safe?

The differnce between Linux and FreeBSD is huge when it comes to properly porting software.. Redhat runs the Linux kernel and so does Debian..

Really anything that runs on Redhat will run on Debian.. But the paths are differnt to things such as Apache and Bind.. There is also no service command as I remember...

Hopefully John and Mark can maintain their own packge lists so when DA is installed it updates the master source of the list so apt can update DA software, like vm, imap, exim, etc...

The Prohacker said:
The differnce between Linux and FreeBSD is huge when it comes to properly porting software.. Redhat runs the Linux kernel and so does Debian..

Really anything that runs on Redhat will run on Debian.. But the paths are differnt to things such as Apache and Bind.. There is also no service command as I remember...

In that case it may be quicker and easier than i expected - never used debian previously

I know we have the backup option but with all of this in mind don't you think we will need a better export / import tool as to minimize the downtime if we switch OS's?

Don't you have to creat all the account over again and upload each backup to the proper directory. It would be great if I we could backup the entire server OR by each reseller and restore all their sites on a new box?

existenz said:
I know we have the backup option but with all of this in mind don't you think we will need a better export / import tool as to minimize the downtime if we switch OS's?
I second the motion :) .

Jeff

There is a feature queued that lets one move accounts from server to server. That is all I need.

Of course, a big plus would be if this feature lets you move multiple accounts at the same time :D

Just received another email from RH:

Enterprise Linux WS: for desktop/client systems. Starting at $179
Enterprise Linux ES: for small/mid-range servers. Starting at $349
Enterprise Linux AS: for high-end and mission-critical systems. Starting at $1499

Does that mean the server setup option that we currently get in redhat 9 will be lossed and we will be required to pay the $349 for that?!... this seems to be getting more expensive all the time :(

what os to use?

Does directadmin even support redhat enterprise ?
Is the freebsd support pretty much done?

I'm wondering, if we setup a server with directadmin now, we'll have to move everyone to a new o/s in a few months (if we use rh9 now). so redhat 9 is out the window.

FreeBSD is a possibility, we already run some openbsd and freebsd servers so it should be ok from our side, but how long till da is fully functional ?

what would you do if your setting up a production server next week with da.. what OS?

1) I think DA may work with enterprise (for some reason, although cant confirm...)

2) The time it has been in beta, i will assume FreeBSD versions are nearly ready.

3) from a comment i heared recently im putting my hopes on DA having debian versions before the end of the year and if not then, before april when RH9 expires :)

Chris

I still urge everyone who currently depends on versions of RH due to become nonsupported, to join the Fedora Legacy mailing list and become part of this vital project.

If we don't want to have to update systems quite often, and don't want to spend a fortune on commercial linux products with high support price tags, or don't want to be bound by Red Hat's draconian license for RHEL, we need to find a way to support our systems for more than a year or two.

So far, Fedora Legacy looks like a viable (maybe the only viable) alternative.

I've posted a link to join and/or browse the mailing list, in an earlier post to this thread.

Jeff

l0rdphi1 said:
There is a feature queued that lets one move accounts from server to server. That is all I need.

Of course, a big plus would be if this feature lets you move multiple accounts at the same time :D

Yep, I think that feature should be at the top of the list, :)

Back