Viewing site before propagation

Tazzman

Verified User
Is there some way of viewing a site on a shared IP before propagation is complete? I'm trying to view the site on the server's main domain, trying all sorts, but it all comes out as a 404.

The domain actually did propagate to my ISP yesterday, dut I had some problems with the server and they must have just occured as my ISP was updating their records again, as now the domain name goes nowhere once again.

Hello

http://IP/~username

this points to /home/username/public_html which is a symbolic link that points to your domains public_html. If you have ssh, you can change where it points (if you have more than one domain)

John

Tried that before and it gave nothing, seems my fears might be right and the whole system has been foobarred :(

Might need to have it restored and try again.

Anyway, the site the server will be running was up and going at one point yesterday, but I was having some problems with Zend and the datacenter support suggested I run the following command:

/root/setup.sh 111 1626 [hostname]

They suggested using this to reinstall DirectAdmin would reset everything to default (and thus eliminate the Zend problems). After I did this, site went byebye.

Don't think it was working correctly to begin with, as the site was resolving to the DA server from everywhere I tried, but the test emails I was sending to an address I set up on the server weren't arriving.

Back to the drawing board I guess.

Does DA include a script that will uninstall the whole thing, every component and undo all changes made to the original OS setup?

That might be the only way to fix it without asking for a complete OS restore.

Not familiar with DA as yet, though I'm certainly not new to servers and Redhat.

Hello,

Sorry, no cleanup script. But a note on ~username... if you created a domain, delete it and create a new one, the ~username will still be pointing to a deleted directory (havn't changed that yet) .. or if you're an admin, it won't be created at all (no domain to point to upon user creation).

Re-running the setup.sh will clobber most everything, which should clean some things up.

Also, 95% of the time things can be easily fixed without having to destroy everything, but you just have to know where/who to ask :)

John

Well, the domain was created as the main domain for the server. Would that mean that the ~username wouldn't work?

First time I logged on as admin I just went to 'User panel' and added the domain, as suggested in your documentation. After I noticed something was wrong, I did want to just delete that domain and recreate it, hoping it would fix a few things, but that doesn't seem to be an option as the domain isn't listed in the admin reseller panel.

Would creating a new admin and then deleting the admin thid domain currently is under work, or would it just tell me the user and domain already exist on the server?

Yey, after a lot of thumbling around in SSH and DA I got everything back up and running, though I haven't tested Zend yet, but I can always use Ioncube if need be.

Back