Upgrade Process

disoft

Verified User
Hi,

I'm about to take the jump from the FreeBSD 4 series to the FreeBSD 5 & 6 series.

I'm okay doing the FreeBSD upgrades via CVSUP but is there a recommended process for how I handle DirectAdmin and things like my Apache data through this?

If this sort of stuff is already written down somewhere I can't seem to find it and I'd be grateful if someone could point me to it.

Many thanks.

From Freebsd 4.x you need to format and reinstall.

5.3 and 5.4 can goto 6.x via cvsup.

Chrysalis said:
From Freebsd 4.x you need to format and reinstall.

5.3 and 5.4 can goto 6.x via cvsup.

I was fairly certain one could do a 4.x to 5.x upgrade, with some tinkering. I believe it's possible to get round things like the GCC differences.

A good backup is always recommended of course! Then if it fails one can always reinstall and restore.

However, my question here was really about how I deal with DirectAdmin after the upgrade. I presume I would have to reinstall it from scratch.

Directadmin you need to change your licence type and almost certianly reinstall it, 4.x to 5.x without a format is I suppose possible but you will have so many discrepencies with lib versions mixing up etc. and be running 5.x on UFS1 instead of UFS2 it just isnt worth it.

Back