Bind error in freebsd 6.0

chatwizrd

Verified User
Hi ever since I switched over to freebsd 6.0 I have been getting the following in /var/log/messages

Dec 1 17:43:31 matrix named[15852]: could not listen on UDP socket: permission denied
Dec 1 17:43:31 matrix named[15852]: creating IPv4 interface lo0 failed; interface ignored
Dec 1 17:43:31 matrix named[15852]: not listening on any interfaces

Keeps looping over and over. Is there maybe something I can change in /usr/local/etc/rc.d/named. I am not sure why its doing that probably attempting to restart it and its not fully quitting before it attempts to restart. Does anyone else have this problem?

Thanks

What does "ps wwwuax |grep named" say? Is named started with the -t switch?

dennisc said:
What does "ps wwwuax |grep named" say? Is named started with the -t switch?

First of all why do you use ps wwwuax there is no need for 3 w's. Secondly no I only have it running with -u bind.

bind 15599 0.0 0.3 4320 3032 ?? Is 4:42PM 0:00.77 /usr/sbin/named -u bind

In first place I try to help you, so don't wine about my way of doing things. Secondly I bet you don't know what the w's do, if you knew you would have understood. At third, ok so it's not bind running in a chroot that's causing the error.

What does "netstat -an |grep 53" say? Do you see anything using udp/53 after you killed bind? What IP is set in named.conf? is localhost properly configured in /etc/hosts?

This is no DirectAdmin isue. All my servers are running fine without DA. Also Floris' server runs fine with DA.

Last edited:
I would guess the error is saying no permission to use the port which would indicate its trying to bind after switching to bind user, to test my theory try starting it with a port above 1024 or starting it as root user.

I had a similar error once. The problem turned out to be bind running twice. The problem vanished as soon as i killed both instances and restarted bind. Not sure what caused the problem, but it never reappeared (so far).

Back