Fresh FreeBSD6.0 install - Bug Posts

Senad

Verified User
I'm testing FreeBSD 6.0 with DA. So far everything is working beautifully. DA I will post what I have found.

1) lib files need to be updated (I fixed this by having compat5x available on my box).

2) /usr/local/directadmin/customapache/build needs to be updated. (I fixed it by just installing zend manually :p)

That's all I have found that does not work. Everything is working like a charm. If anybody has found any bugs please share them here for DA to know and if this is an upgraded box or a fresh install box. Nothing major that needs to be adjusted for 6.0 by the looks of it. So far it's running very smooth :) actually so smooth that I would say it's ready for production servers :).

Last edited:
Install type: FreeBSD 6.0 Fresh Install

More bugs:

3) DA quotas do not read properly (Installed quota on kernel and installed new kernel still get same error)

Unable to get quotas: cannot create /home/tmp/quota-dump: No such file or directory (still looking for possible errors on this one)

4) Installatron does not work (this might be due to a lib problem will test out shortly).

Last edited:
BUGFIX:
3) DA quotas do not read properly (Installed quota on kernel and installed new kernel still get same error)

Unable to get quotas: cannot create /home/tmp/quota-dump: No such file or directory (still looking for possible errors on this one)

FIX BELOW:
========
Code:
cd /home
mkdir tmp
chmod 1777 tmp

echo "action=tally&value=all" >> /usr/local/directadmin/data/task.queue

Current List of Bugs with No Fixes:

1) lib files need to be updated (I fixed this by having compat5x available on my box).

2) /usr/local/directadmin/customapache/build needs to be updated. (I fixed it by just installing zend manually :p)

3) Installatron does not work (this might be due to a lib problem will test out shortly).

Senad said:
Current List of Bugs with No Fixes:

3) Installatron does not work (this might be due to a lib problem will test out shortly).
Good,
seems that the DA team can easy release a stable version.
i make also a test server today or tommorow and i post my comments.

Regards,
Christos

Installatron and why it may not be working reason: orbit is not updating

4) ProFTP does not change the nameserver: to what it should be. (although ftp works perfectly fine)

Last edited:
does compat5x have to be installed from ports? since they have removed it from /etc/make.conf now.

I have a few errors with DA if it does not have the compat available due to the lib files being changed.

/user/ports/misc/compat5x
make install clean

fixed about 90% of any errors I had in DA on a Fresh 6.0 box.

Update on the box: The box has been running over 13+ hours now no problems, running smooth and fast. It's definetly ready for deployment no errors, nothing but smooth sailing.

ok another thing I've noticed is that the changeme.domain.com (name servers) on somethings do not change.

Update on installatron: Being fixed by Phil at Installatron (my hands of to you kind sir :) ).

BugFix:

Installatron is now compatible with DA and FreeBSD 6.0. Thanks to the installatron team for all of their hard work (great product and great support!).

Well bugs have been fixed and new ones found so here is all that is left (note some of the bugs have fixes in them). Just an updated list.

3) ProFTP and other services do not change the nameserver (keep stating changeme.nameservers.com) to what it should be (although they work perfectly fine)

we still got an old bug existant which I think they cant fix, coppermine installer generates a dir owned by apache and not as the user.

cool, thank you for this thread

good information to have as I will have to be installing DA on FreeBSD 6.0 in a couple of days.

Does not start at all :(

DirectAdmin does not start at all, eventhough it says so:

test1# /usr/local/etc/rc.d/directadmin start
Starting DirectAdmin: [ OK ]
test1# ps wwwaux | grep directadmin
test1#

All other services are up and running.

First I got errors with the install. After installing compat5x from ports they magically disappeared.

Someone??

As stated you have to have compat5x installed before installing DA. Try reinstalling DA with compat5x installed beforehand.

I did. At that point the install went fine and told me happily DA is installed. But DA does not run at all. The DA startup script tells me happily DA starts but still nothing. Thanks anyway for your quick reply. :)

dennisc said:
I did. At that point the install went fine and told me happily DA is installed. But DA does not run at all. The DA startup script tells me happily DA starts but still nothing. Thanks anyway for your quick reply. :)

What license version are you using? What do your error logs say?

Oops forgot to look in the DirectAdmin log, stupid me. It says:

2005:12:12-19:36:11: Unable to read the license file

Funny, Unable to read it. not wrong, but unable to read it. Hmz..

Run the following:
======
Manually download the DirectAdmin license using wget due to the error discussed in this directadmin forum.

http://www.directadmin.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=9103

Download it manually by using:

server# wget --no-check-certificate "https://www.directadmin.com/cgi-bin/licenseupdate?lid=11003&uid=1873" -O /usr/local/directadmin/conf/license.key

Run DA and see if that works :).

Hello,

We have not officially looked at FreeBSD 6.0 yet, but generally, the issues are with either the license not being downloaded, the binaries for a wrong OS, or the ethernet_dev being set to a wrong device in the directadmin.conf.

Check your /var/log/directadmin/error.log (tail end)

Also, you can try starting DA manually:
Code:
cd /usr/local/directadmin
./directadmin
to run in the terminal. If you get library errors, it's generally a wrong OS (in this case, possibly missing libs as it's an unsupported OS.. not sure though).

To update license: http://help.directadmin.com/item.php?id=30 (only if needed.. if it's 1298 bytes in size, it's fine)

If you type "ifconfig", you'll see the device names. Make sure the one with your IP is set in the directadmin.conf:

ethernet_dev=eth0

(where eht0 would be your network device with the IP)

John

Back