A Few Questions?

eli

Hi, I've recently discovered DirectAdmin, and I'm considering getting a [Reseller] acct. that uses this Control Panel.

So I have a few questions, & yes I did search the boards.

1- Does my client, (shared hosting user) need to have a domain name, or can I set up a subdomain for each person?

2- can I disable php/cgi for any user I want.

3- Permissions, etc... If I do set up an acct. for someone (using subdomain or domain), will they be able to browse other peoples folders etc... (for example, using linux commands like 'cd ..' or 'cat /home/path/somebodysfiles') & will they be able to overwrite files in other directories?

4- ftp, can I dissallow users to ftp upload certain files like .htaccess or .pl?

5- does DirectAdmin come with some type of firewall to stop people who use portscanner software, etc.. from hacking the server?

Note, I am considering getting an acct. where I am a reseller.

Thanks.

eli said:
Hi, I've recently discovered DirectAdmin, and I'm considering getting a [Reseller] acct. that uses this Control Panel.

So I have a few questions, & yes I did search the boards.

1- Does my client, (shared hosting user) need to have a domain name, or can I set up a subdomain for each person?

3- Permissions, etc... If I do set up an acct. for someone (using subdomain or domain), will they be able to browse other peoples folders etc... (for example, using linux commands like 'cd ..' or 'cat /home/path/somebodysfiles') & will they be able to overwrite files in other directories?

4- ftp, can I dissallow users to ftp upload certain files like .htaccess or .pl?

5- does DirectAdmin come with some type of firewall to stop people who use portscanner software, etc.. from hacking the server?

Note, I am considering getting an acct. where I am a reseller.

Thanks.

1 - You can use a subdomain or a normal domain

2 - CGI can be enabled / disabled with any site, for php you would have to use .htaccess for the site to turn it off.

3 - If i'm thinking correctly users should only have priveledges to files they own / created - although i suggest you double check this with Mark or John

4 - it's possible, you would have to do it yourself through proftpd configs

5 - No, server administrators can and should install firewalls aswell as take many other precautions when it comes to security.

Hello,

As long as domain.com is on the server, you can create a domain named sub.domain.com and it should work correctly.

As of The last version, the php option has been added, so yes, both can be chosen.

Without user jailing, there is the potential for other people on the system to browse your public_html directories using ssh. However, they cannot overwrite other peoples files.

Unfortunatly not. Even if it was disabled in ftp (which isn't a feature), there are still many other ways to get files onto a system.

DirectAdmin does not come with a firewall, however server admins are encouraged to set one up to hide unneeded ports.

John

DirectAdmin Support said:
Unfortunatly not. Even if it was disabled in ftp (which isn't a feature), there are still many other ways to get files onto a system.

Didnt think of shell and file manager :eek: whats wrong with me today!

Thanks for your answers,

is this possible? if i create a subdomain in a regular shared acct. and create ftp access, can I disable cgi/php on a subdomain basis?
- could a feature like that be added

thank you

Hello,

You would only be able to disable it if you create the subdomain as a whole new domain.

John

Back