Pre-Sales question

chosts

I am checking the link for the purchase a lifetime license and I have a few questions.

Is it necessary to specify the IP address and root password?

Host Name should be host or host.something.com?

Why should I specify DNS domains? What if I do not have it ready yet? I want to test it at home first before I moved it public. I have an IP address but nothing is setup with DNS servers yet.

Could you please explain me how it works. I do not understand why if I want to move it to another server I have to let DA know about this. Why can't I just move it? Does all this mean that I will have a link to DA all the time and they will control my license?

Thank you.

chosts said:
Is it necessary to specify the IP address and root password?
The DA license is specific to the IP# it's going to run on, so the IP address must be supplied.

The password only needs to be supplied if the DA staff is going to install it; otherwise just type in the word password, as the field is required.
Host Name should be host or host.something.com?
host.example.com

and NOT the same as any domain that's going to be on the server.
Why should I specify DNS domains? What if I do not have it ready yet?
Again, this is only required if DA is going to do the install, so they can set it up. If you don't have anything yet, use ns1.example.com and ns2.example.com (where example.com is replaced by whatever you used for your hostname [see above]), and you can always change it later.
I want to test it at home first before I moved it public. I have an IP address but nothing is setup with DNS servers yet.
DA will only work with public IP#s, and while you can change the IP#s later when you move it to a datacenter, you'll have to make the changes on your own and then contact the sales department to have a new license issued with the new IP#.

So setting it up "at home" isn't really a great idea.

We did it for our first two installs; now we do the OS installs at the office, install the server at the data center, and install DA remotely. That works best for us.
Could you please explain me how it works. I do not understand why if I want to move it to another server I have to let DA know about this. Why can't I just move it? Does all this mean that I will have a link to DA all the time and they will control my license?
The DA licensing system must always be able to reach your DA server, and it's limited to the IP# it's installed for.

Jeff

The DA licensing system must always be able to reach your DA server, and it's limited to the IP# it's installed for.

Seems sort obvious, but..

If I purchase a dedicated server and have DA installed on my 'main' ip, if a client wanted their own IP I would not be able to provide DA to them with only one license, no?

BTW: What sort of information is bound and displayed in a lifetime DA license for users?

I have no company at this stage and would want to consider this before buying a license and having it permanently linked to my given name when I will in the future want to use a business name.

-Spook

Back