Adding a domain at a specific IP#

nobaloney

NoBaloney Internet Svcs - In Memoriam †
I'm the admin.

I want to create an additional domain under my admin account.

Okay, at the bottom I click on "User Panel".

Then on "Advanced Tools".

Then on "Host Additional Domains".

I don't get a chance to pick a new IP#.

How can I assign this domain one of my extra IP#s?

Thanks.

Jeff

Hi Jeff, if you want to use a different IP for a domain then try doing it through the reseller panel instead of the user panel.
Click on the create account button in the "Reseller Panel"

Jason

Do you mean I can't assign more than one IP# to a user? Or can't change the IP# assigned to the user after I create him?

Thanks.

Jeff

I've got the basic design for allowing one user to run domains with different ips, but when I get around to implementing it is anyones guess. When I do that, I'll also add the abiliy to change the ip of a domain.

So like jlasman said, you just create a new user to use a different ip.

John

John,

It was jdlitson who said that, not me :) .

Hopefully you can explain how to get around this scenario:

A client orders hosting. Because he has a simple static site he gets name-based hosting (we don't have enough IP#s to give one to each static site).

Then he decides to buy an SSL cert. Now he qualifies for ip-based hostng. but he's already running, he's already got mail coming in, he's already got a database.

How do we move him (step-by-step, please) so he doesn't lose mail in any of his mailboxes, so he doesn't go offline, and so his database continues intact?

We can do it with Plesk, and we can do it with Sun Cobalt RaQs (though with both we have to make some minor temporary changes in /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf so both IP#s will resolve for a few days).

How can we do this without telling the customer he's going to be down, he's going to risk losing email, he's going to risk losing database entries?

Thanks.

Jeff

Hi Jeff,
In my opinion you could do it by using the backup utility in Direct Admin. It allows you to backup all of the things you mentioned. Then create the new site with the IP and upload the backup to the new site and use the restore options in DA in the new site. I guess you would probobly have to delete the current domain before you create the new one but the site would probobly be offline for 5 to 10 min? Good question Jeff. Regards -Jason

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestion, Jason; it's a good one.

Do you know if the backup utility shuts down the database completely while it runs? If not can I suspend the site before running it, so it'll backup with good data?

Do you know for sure that the restore will work if it's a different IP#?

This seems like a good workaround once we're moved into our data center.

Jeff

Sorry Jeff, This I don't know since I haven't tried it yet.
So this is a question for the DA Pros.

Jason

Do you know if the backup utility shuts down the database completely while it runs? If not can I suspend the site before running it, so it'll backup with good data?
The database dump uses mysqldump with the following options:
-u username -p --opt --no-create-db

and --opt is just shorthand for
--add-drop-table --add-locks --all --extended-insert --quick --lock-tables

You can suspend the site after this is done.

Do you know for sure that the restore will work if it's a different IP#?
The restore only assumes that the same domain name(s) will be used. The ip is irrelvant for restore. Restoring is just an automatic way of create each piece of their domain, one at a time, for all pieces. This ensures users don't restore invalid things, or more things than they are allowed (by modifying the tar.gz file)

Hope this helps.

John

DirectAdmin Support said:
I'll also add the abiliy to change the ip of a domain.
I need that *really* bad.

Right now I've got a bunch of accounts on my main "shared" IP, and if they want to switch to a dedicated IP for say their own SSL. Big trouble!

Is this feature available yet? I have the same problem and would like to move domains to IPs.

You can change a user's IP#.

I don't believe you can have multiple IP#s per user yet.

Jeff

Hi,
If a user needs multiple IPs you should upgrade him/her to a reseller.

Steps
1. Create a reseller account with a different user name than the current user. For the domain you could just use any dummy domain name.
2. In the Admin panel use the "Move Users between Resellers". Move the user to the new reseller account.
3. Add additional IPs to the reseller, and assign the IPs to sites as needed.

BTW DA has come along way in 6 years.

Regards,
Jason

Thanks for the steps, was hoping there was an easier way - as the user has multiple sites, and only one needs to be IP-based address.

BTW DA has come along way in 6 years.
I know it has, but not in this area. :)

I just noticed I started this thread almost six years ago when I was new to DirectAdmin and didn't know anything yet :).

Jeff

Back