Mailing List/Majordomo won't delete list subscriber

finlayj

Verified User
I have a set of mailing lists in my domain example.com. Tonight, I needed to delete a subscriber from the list named "social." I pulled up the list of subscribers in the DA control panel (CP), checked the select box next to the user I wanted to delete ([email protected]) and clicked on the "Delete Selected" button. The screen refreshed, but the subscriber was not deleted.

So, I tried to use majordomo's e-mail interface, because I am proficient with managing lists that way. So I e-mailed the command "unsubscribe social [email protected]"

and received the following message.
Your request to [email protected]:

unsubscribe social [email protected]

has been forwarded to the owner of the "social" list for approval.
This could be for any of several reasons:

You might have asked to subscribe to a "closed" list, where all new
additions must be approved by the list owner.

You might have asked to subscribe or unsubscribe an address other than
the one that appears in the headers of your mail message.

When the list owner approves your request, you will be notified.

If you have any questions about the policy of the list owner, please
contact "[email protected]".

Thanks!

[email protected]
According to the CPsettings, this list is wide open, settings-wise, so there's no reason majordomo should be seeking approval for this command, as far as I can tell.

I set up the lists, so I should be the list owner, right? There is no setting in the DA CP for "list owner," so I don't know what address majordomo is forwarding those approval requests to! I tried setting myself up as moderator for that list, in hope that it might send a request my way, but still I never received any of those approval requests from majordomo.

I'd like to be able to make subscriber changes from the control panel, but the deletion feature seems to be broken.

Unless there's something I'm doing wrong or some other way to make that change, it looks like the only solution until the CP control is fixed is to either delete the list and start over or create a parallel list sans that subscriber to use in the meantime.

Hello,

I'm not quite sure why that email address isn't being removed... I'll just take a stab in the dark.. and ask if your hard drive is full?

and yes, example.com is fixed in this release. That's just a default SquirrelMail setting, which can be changed by the user by saving their email address in their SquirrelMail settings.

Perhaps have a look at the permissions on the list file.. /etc/virtual/domain.com/majordomo/lists

John

These are the default files for his list - nothing has been changed from initial setup (it's a new FQDN)

-rw-rw-r-- 1 majordomo daemon 280 Nov 16 21:46 social
-rw-rw-r-- 1 majordomo daemon 0 Nov 9 15:35 social-digest
-rw-rw---- 1 majordomo daemon 1373 Nov 16 20:41 social-digest.config
-rw-rw---- 1 majordomo daemon 4 Nov 16 20:41 social-digest.info
-rw-rw---- 1 majordomo daemon 1359 Nov 16 20:41 social.config
-rw-rw---- 1 majordomo daemon 4 Nov 16 20:41 social.info
[root@www9 lists]#

Disk has lots of room...

[root@www9 lists]# df
Filesystem 1K-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/hdc1 155559208 25203120 122454120 18% /

That's quite odd. The file is being re-written, and no errors are being produced? .. The only thing I can think of is if there were weird characters in the name, or if some of them were upper case or something.. If you want me to have a look, send ip, username/pass and root pass to [email protected]

John

Apparently thanks are in order for someone, because I just checked and discovered that the list is now minus the previously-undeletable subscriber. Was I doing something wrong or did I find an issue?

Last edited:
Thank you John.

It never occurred to me that this would be a browser issue or I would have tried IE. Is it safe to assume that the Safari browser is not part of your testing grid?

On a related note, any idea where majordomo would be sending those admin requests to the list owner? And would it be possible to add a setting in the mailing list CP to define the address of the list owner?

The issue is with how DA is doing it. It's just how the different browsers are handling the "wrong" way DA is doing it.

John

Back